Berliner Weisse Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint04

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums, and still trying to get a feel for everything. I'm planning on brewing a Berliner Weisse soon, and I have read about Kristen England's method - Decoction mash, no boil, big lacto starter, german ale yeast - but not much else. Anyway, here are my questions:

- I'm thinking 3.5# each of Pils and Wheat malt. 1 oz of Hallertau (mash hopping). Am I missing anything? Should I up the Hallertaus since there is no boil?

- I was planning on making a 1L starter of Lacto (Wyeast 5335), and pitching this two days before I pitch the German Ale yeast (1007). I am going to put a fermwrap on the carboy to hopefully ferment the Lacto in the high 80s for the first two days, before cooling it and pitching the German Ale yeast. Does anyone recommend anything different?

- Kristen England recommends letting this ferment for 5-7 days, then bottle conditioning it for months. Has anyone tried this method? Will I have better luck doing a month primary --> 2 month secondary?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I brewed my first Berliner Weisse last Nov. with a very similar method and recipe as you are considering. No boil, pitch lacto first, mash hops, yada, yada...

I didn't use a lacto starter though I just added acid malt to the primary for 3 days before pitching the yeast. I kept the temps warm as in upper 80F's to get the lacto active. Then I pitched Kolsch yeast and fermented around 60.

The sourness was immediately apparent. However I have a few left and it has gradually become more and more sour.

The hops are only there for a preservative and no bitterness should be present.

Back