Mysterious Forced Carbonation Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prothumia

Reaction score
I've been brewing a couple of years, but just began kegging with a Corny.
I finally set up a kegerator and brewed an Irish red ale.
Following the CO2 chart, I set up my keg to carbonate and have waited much longer than 3-5 days for the beer to bubblify (I just made that cool word up).
I am continuing to have a huge head (even though I have an 8-ft tube) and flat beer.
What the heck is going on? Would it hurt to simply throw some priming sugar in at this point? It's too hot in Southern Louisiana to not be drinking this beer!
:mug:

What temp is the keg at? What pressure is the keg under and how long has it been there. If there is a huge amount of foam, then it sound like the beer is carbonated and it is just coming out when you pour. Some more details would help. At this point, I wouldn't put any sugar in but try to solve the problem.

is your beer foaming "IN" the line before it comes out of the faucet or after its exiting?
what PSI are you serving at?
what PSI did you force carb at?
what size is your 8' of tubing?
what temperature if your beer at?
are you using a coffin, tower, taps in door , or front of keezer?

-=jason=-

Also, is the 8ft of linethe same temperature as the beer? If the beer warms up as you dispense then the co2 may degas and cause foaming.

Like others have said, there are variables at play here. Tell us your setup and we may be able to help.

I've been kegging my last 4 batches, and I'll tell you that using the carb chart, it usually takes more like 2 weeks for my beer to carb to my liking.

Also, make sure that you purged the keg of O2, that could have caused your problem.

I've got it set to around 40 degrees with a 10 psi. Irish red, I read somewhere, requires a 2.3 carbonation volume.
All of my gear is inside the fridge. Gosh, it has been in there at least a week.
It looks like the foam is coming only at the faucet. There is no foam in the tubing, only beer. I'm not sure what size the tubing is, but it was the standard size at my local brew store.

how long is your run of tubing?

could be to short and the beer doesn't have enough resistance thus the glass of foam

-=Jason=-

The OP said 8 ft in the first post.

If you've been set at 10 psi the whole time, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a couple weeks to carb up.

To make it carb faster, I usually crank the psi up to about 35 and listen for the keg to stop bubbling. Once it does, I unhook it and roll the keg on the ground for about a minute. Then I hook it up to the gas again (still at 35 psi) and put it back in the fridge overnight. Then I reduce the pressure to the correct pressure per the tables.

This method over-carbs the beer for a couple days but lets me get close to proper (or at least tasty) carb levels in about 3 days. The best part is you can drink it after the first day even though it will be a bit over-carbed.

Latest posts

Back