Cloudy Wort.. doing Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyAndApple

Reaction score
So I mashed the wort for Hefeweizen. The wort tasted GREAT with aroma of banana and clove.

I have not yet done the boiling process yet, but when I left it in a vessel (after filtering entirely based on grains, I noticed that bottom 10 percent was layered with sediment from the grains.

I'm wondering whether I should do extra filtering for clarity. However, I read here from another thread that sediments (from grains) could help to reduce the production of ester which I'm looking forward to do.

(I could always use gelatin during fermentation stage)

Thanks in advance.

Hefeweizens are cloudy beers anyhow, why clear it up? The yeast will just make it cloudy again. Why use gelatin? It is a Hefe, right?

Also, your wort shouldnt smell like banana and clove... those flavors/aromas are esters from the yeast. Not from the mash.

NO, we are suggesting you relax.:mug: dont worry. The sediment is natural and everything will fall out in Primary. Once you boil it a lot of that will turn into hot and cold break material and when you siphon to the Primary you might be able to leave some behind, but alot of us just transfer all of it. I havn't seen any issues doing so.

I think we are wondering what exactly you are brewing.

Some of it may be flour, some of it could very well be protiens.

If you are brewing a Hefe with a Hefe yeast, the yeast will make it cloudy... this is the style of yeast/beer.

The banana and clove comes from the Hefe yeast, not the mash.. so you DO want esters from the yeast, otherwise you wont have a Hefe.(banana clove)

I would not worry about the sediment... after beer boils, cools and ferments, there is A LOT of sediment that ends up dropping out. Protiens, lipids etc...

You are brewing what is going to be a cloudy beer. Wasted energy trying to clear it up now.

So I mashed the wort for Hefeweizen. The wort tasted GREAT with aroma of banana and clove.
Eh? How are you getting that aroma in your wort? Those aromas in a Hefe are from the yeast and fermentation process.
I have not yet done the boiling process yet, but when I left it in a vessel (after filtering entirely based on grains, I noticed that bottom 10 percent was layered with sediment from the grains.
It'll be fine. Most of that stuff will become hot and cold break.
I'm wondering whether I should do extra filtering for clarity.
No. It's wasted energy- the yeast will make it cloudy too. On a side note, this also means that irish moss, etc are wasted $$ in a hefe or any other cloudy beer.
However, I read here from another thread that sediments (from grains) could help to reduce the production of ester which I'm looking forward to do.
You want esters in a hefe. That's what gives it the clove/bannana taste.
(I could always use gelatin during fermentation stage)
Once again, wasted effort and $$$.

Edit: Heh.. looks like I opened too many tabs. I got absorbed by Brewpastor's walk-in, and came totally late to this party. :D

Back