Cool temps stopped saison fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talloak

Reaction score
I made a saison about one month ago using WYeast 3724 which likes temps from 75-90. The plan was to just let it sit in the house, as I have no fermentation chamber to control temps. It should have been the appropriate temperature. However, this past month has been unseasonably cool with daytime highs in the low 70s and nighttime temps of low 50s.

I checked the saison about one week ago and it was still at 1.030. The OG was 1.062 and the FG should be about 1.014, preferably lower. How can I get this thing to finish and finish dry?

Raise your temps back up to around 70 degrees. Swirl the fermenter a bit to get some of the yeast back in suspension.

No space heater available. It is in the warmest place I can find. I will have to wrap it up better. Next time we get a warm day, I'll put it outside on the screened in porch just while I am at work, but out of the sun.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am dealing with the same problem. I have been putting a heating pad next to it and trying to boost the temp but only able to get it up to 73.

I have not checked it in a week but it was stuck at 1.032 after 2 weeks.

Sometimes I don't know if a saison is worth the trouble but they are yummy.

I had the same problem. I used White Labs WLP565 yeast and pitched over 3 weeks ago. It stopped at 1.021 last week but finally started to ferment again once I put another blanket around it and moved it to a warmer area. I also swirled the yeast a little, and I think that did the trick.

I just realized I have a electric blanket! You know, the old kind that overheat and set things on fire. I bet if I wrap the pail in that and turn it to the lowest setting it would be an appropriate temperature. I'll have to experiment.

cooler and a hot water bottle. I brewed one last summer in August thought my 2nd floor in my garage would be perfect . We had a cold snap I put the carboy in an unused 5 cf chest freezer and added one gallon of hot tap water in a plastic jug. It stayed at an even 85° all night and during the day the temps went up to 85 in the garage. I changed the jug out every night and it was still warm , temps stayed in the range for the yeast.

Put it in a big tupperwear container with water and an aquarium heater and raise the temp to 85 (I found this to be optimal). Swirl it once or twice and day and get ready to wait a couple weeks. It will get there and it will take it's sweet time.

Well, after everyones suggestion I procrastinated and attempted nothing until today. I was ready to wrap the ale pail with 5.5 gallon of saison in a heat blanket, but before I did I decided to take a reading. As I posted on Sept 2, the gravity was at 1.030. Today, just before I smashed my hydrometer in my sink, I found that the saison is now at 1.010.

It started at 1.062 and finished at 1.010 6 weeks later. I tasted the sample from the fermtech wine theif and I was surprised how good it tasted considering how bad it looked. But I think that was because I sloshed it around pretty good in anticipation of putting the heat blanket on, before I decided to take a reading.

So, I geuss it turns out I didn't need to do anything more than wait to get it to finish out and finish quite dry at 1.010. However, the temp was certainly never above 75 inside the fermentation vessel. I guess I am just curious about the affects of a saison yeast which likes fermenting at 75-90, fermenting at 67-72.

I mean, the yeast did it, and like I said it is certainly drinkable. But I definitely did not pick up the spicy notes I was looking for. But I guess thats what you get for making a Saison off-season and with zero temp control.

Back