They milled my grains by "accident" at the store. Question about milling them again..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinke

Reaction score
Hi,

The homebrew store milled my grains even though I told them not to mill them. This is the second time this has happened.

Can I run them through my barley crusher? I ask this because I always get better efficiency when I use my own crusher.

Thanks.

I would think not because you may end up with too fine of a crush being too much like flour. I understand your frustration, but maybe you can run a small handful through your crusher and if it's too dusty - I wouldn't do it. If you still decide to do it; may I suggest you look at getting some rice hulls to avoid any stuck fermentations. Good Luck

That's what I'm afraid of. I will take about a pound or so, and give it a try. I might also increase the width of the mill.

It doesn't help you now, but this was something that pushed me to buy bulk. Now grant, my last buy was a little more $$ since I used the local store, but I still have a good place to go if I need anything and help. Keep the relations open kind of thing...

Yeah, I might just buy a 50# bag next time with the base malt. It will save me a few $$ per batch. I am waiting for our next bulk buy....can't come fast enough...

Back