White dots in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm747

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've had my Brewer's Best IPA in the secondary for over a week now (carboy). This Sunday will be two weeks. Tonight I went down to check on it and it has little white dots on the top of the beer. not all over the top but enough to have me a bit worried.

Is this normal or am I infected?

Thanks!

Tim

Are you confident in your sanitation techniques? But, like reverse said, a picture would help. Sounds like it may be yeast colonies.

Here ya go...

dsc0020hsy.jpg

dsc0018nr.jpg

I was very, very clean going to the secondary. When the beer came out of the primary I sprayed the lid with Starsan, had the secondary filled with water and Starsan and brought another bucket with Starsan in it to soak everything as I was working and made sure everything was soaked before touching the beer. The only thing I had to do that wasn't sterile was wipe the inside of the carboy where the bung is with a paper towel because the bung kept sliding out and wouldn't stay put. I thought I should have used vodka or something but it was an after thought.

I would wait and see how it turns out. If you have a wine thief, you can sanitize it and steal a little from the surface and taste it. I had a "freak out" about white spots one time, but it was fine when I tasted it. I bottled it up and I guess it was nothing. If it was, it didn't seem to change the taste at all.

i have the exact same thing happening with my double ipa. New to brewing but certainly not too worried about it after everything i have read on this site. my guess is it will turn out just fine

They are yeast rafts....all is well, it's just yeast buoyed up by rising co2....it is the most common new brewer freakout on here. Rarely is the surface of a beer ever perfectly clear. There's always colonies of yeast floating around, and stuff being kicked up by co2.

I had a similiar situation with a lot more bubbles and was worried. But after putting it in a keg, force carbbing it and waiting four days it tastes delicious.

Back