German Weissbier Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApothecaryBrewing

Reaction score
So I brewed an Extract/Specialty Grains recipe that I had come up with from scratch for a weissbier. The recipe was

1# Wheat Malt
0.5# Pilsner Malt
0.5# Belgian Aromatic Malt
6.6 # Wheat LME (1/2 @ 60min. & 1/2 @ 10min.)
1oz. German hallertau 4.3%AA (0.75 @ 60min & 0.25 @ 15min)
2 x Wyeast 3068

OG = 1.060 (a little high, not sure why... maybe grains gave off more sugar than expected)

I steeped the grains at about 154F for 60min.

It has been fermenting for about 9-10 days now around 70F

My question is about the length and style of fermentation. I have heard it is good to do a shorter fermentation for weissbiers and to avoid secondary to leave more yeast in suspension.

Once I hit a gravity of about 1.018 or 1.019 I was planning on siphoning it off the trub and bottling it then aging it for 3 weeks.

Does this sound right and proper for this style or am I missing something?

This is the first wheat beer I have done as they are not my favorite and it is intended as gifts for the holidays moreso than my consumption (I prefer a hop slap to the face).

You do not want to bottle until you reach fg (this goes for all kinds of beer) or they will become bombs. So as soon as you hit fg ck hydro after 3 days make sure it doesn't change go ahead and bottle up.

Okay. I figured that was the case but I wasn't sure. I typically do a secondary to help clear the beer, or because I am dry hopping, but I will forgo that with this one since cloudy is the style. Once I hit my FG I will bottle it up.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back