Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DtownRiot

Reaction score
Hey all,
Im going to be ordering ingredients from Austin Home Brew Sometime tonight and have a question for everyone. What kind of yeast should I use? Im gonna show the recipe at the bottom to give as much info as I can. There is a 5 dollar price increase between white labs yeast and wyeast over the regular dry yeast products. I wanted to use danstarr nottingham yeast for 1.59 but then found white labs cry havoc yeast for 6.49. With a price increase of five dollars, what is the difference between the two? And based on my recipe which would be better. The cry havoc is said to give fruity flavors, would that go well with my recipe? As always, thank you for the help.
Cheers

4 1/2 lbs dried amber malt extract
1 1/2 oz cascade hops
1 oz fuggle hops
short and simple

with such a light recipe, i would use the cheapest and easiest available. safale 05. itll work perfectly for your brew, wont really give any off flavors, has the correct attenuation for such a light beer, and is inexpensive.

Is this a 5-gallon batch? My first brew (still fermenting) is a very light ale that we are going to relegate to beer pong, and even it used 6 pounds of extract. I'm betting that's it. My next is an American IPA which isn't even really all that malty and it uses 9 pounds for a 5-gallon batch.

with such a light recipe, i would use the cheapest and easiest available. safale 05. itll work perfectly for your brew, wont really give any off flavors, has the correct attenuation for such a light beer, and is inexpensive.

+1 On using Safale-05 for this. It is cheap, easy to use, you don't need to make a starter and it works extremely well. In fact this is pretty much what i use all the time unless i am making a bigger beer or specialty beer.

Your malt amount seems a little low. If you increase your malt purchase to six pounds you will have a starting gravity of 1.052 and will be a bit more balanced with your hops. Your beer will end up at 4.95% ABV which I believe is nice for an amber.

i concur, youd be best off to increase your malt content just a bit, your brew is a bit on the light side and is a bit hoppy, but if you want to try it, its still beer. afterall, if you drink any commercial light beer, its about 3.2%abv and has pretty much no malt or hops.

Back