I forgot the hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 64661

Reaction score
Oh ****

6# wheat LME
.5 # carapils steeped

boiled for 60 minutes

cooled and dumped to primary bucket

added water to reach 5.5 gallons

realized I forgot the damn hops

what can I do now?

If you have a pot big enough, dump the contents back into the pot and boil again adding the hops as you go.

Nope, don't have that big a pot. I have a 30 qt turkey fryer pot or a 20 qt pot I could pour some into and re boild. Would that work?

txinga said:
Nope, don't have that big a pot. I have a 30 qt turkey fryer pot or a 20 qt pot I could pour some into and re boild. Would that work?

Um, 30 qt is way more that 5.5 gallons unless I'm super drunk.

Boil it, add some hops. What's the whole recipe? You'll have to top off again after the boil. But depending on the recipe you may not need to boil an whole hour.

Akso, how do you forget the hops!

Um, 30 qt is way more that 5.5 gallons unless I'm super drunk.

Boil it, add some hops. What's the whole recipe? You'll have to top off again after the boil. But depending on the recipe you may not need to boil an whole hour.

Akso, how do you forget the hops!

'cause I'm an idiot.

Crap. pour the 5.5 gallons into my turkey fryer pot and boil outside for another hour? oh my. It's 11:30PM already. It'll take half an hour or more to reach a boil.

I suppose taking a couple of gallons and boiling with the hops would give me too low a bitterness.

Guess I'll just dump it and get some sleep.

txinga said:
'cause I'm an idiot.

Crap. pour the 5.5 gallons into my turkey fryer pot and boil outside for another hour? oh my. It's 11:30PM already. It'll take half an hour or more to reach a boil.

I suppose taking a couple of gallons and boiling with the hops would give me too low a bitterness.

Guess I'll just dump it and get some sleep.

No no no! No need to dump! Just boil it tomorrow. There's a small chance some off flavors could develop if your sanitation wasnt superb, but I think you could boil tomorrow just fine.

Post your entire recipe it may help.

you could take a portion of the wort to re-boil and adjust your hopping schedule to get the whole batch to your desired IBU... won't be exactly the same but it would be faster to boil 3 gal than 5.5.

No no no! No need to dump! Just boil it tomorrow. There's a small chance some off flavors could develop if your sanitation wasnt superb, but I think you could boil tomorrow just fine.

Post your entire recipe it may help.

I steeped .5 lb carapils for 30 minutes in 1.5 qts of 150F water

sparged 1 gal of 150F water through the carapils into another 2 gal of 150 +/- water

Added 6 lbs wheat briess bavarian wheat lme

Brought to a boil for 60 minutes, fell asleep

cooled in the sink in an ice bath

dumped into 6.5 gallon bucket and added cold water to 5.5 gallons

realized my brain fart and posted here

Should've added 1oz Williamette at 60 minutes

having trouble bringing website up. having major wtf moment

have to refresh constantly to see other folks telling me what a dumba$$ I am (completely pointing the finger at myself... I feel like a f*()ing idiot)

I have Wyeast American Wheat 1010 ready to go.

looks like your target is around 16IBU and 4% ABV... do you have more than the 1oz of Williamette on hand? I can try to craft a small boil to get you back in the 16 IBU range..

Here's what I have on hand:
The 1 oz Williamette that I forgot
I have a little more than 3oz of Saaz
2 oz of Tettnang
3# of light dme
4# of dextrose
1# of rice syrup solids

Thanks for the help guys. It's really appreciated

Oh and thanks for all the help! The site seems to be suffering from something. I can barely post my desperate cries for help.

Doh! That sounds like something I would do. Haven't done it yet though (knock on wood).

Ouchie at forgetting the hops. I am brewing now and I had to throw in like 15oz of hops and I felt like I was going to mess up the order. Either way don't sweat it, just get as much of it that you can boil and put it through another 60mins. Cool it and pitch yeast, beer will be fine.

As noted by others you can jsut re-boil the whole batch or try this shortened, smaller boil: 1 oz Willamette + 1oz Saaz 30min in 2 gallons. Chill and return to fermenter.

It won't be identical but it will probably taste very good.

so, assuming my sanitization technique is sound... my 5.5 gallons sits overnight on the kitchen floor (in an ale pale)
I pour the whole thing into the turkey fryer pot and boil for an hour and start the hops schedule.
Then pitch the yeast
I suppose I could add dme to reach OG if needed still?
Guess I'll find out in 4 weeks or so huh?

Well I pulled 2 gallons and boiled for 30 minutes adding the yeast at the beginning (what a concept!). Pitched wyeast 1010 on it around 1PM yesterday. This afternoon it's bubbling through a blow off tube faster than once a second. Yowsa. Hope I don't end up with a big mess!
Thanks again for the advice folks.

Well I pulled 2 gallons and boiled for 30 minutes adding the yeast at the beginning (what a concept!). Pitched wyeast 1010 on it around 1PM yesterday. This afternoon it's bubbling through a blow off tube faster than once a second. Yowsa. Hope I don't end up with a big mess!
Thanks again for the advice folks.

If it's going like gang-busters it may be a bit warm for a real clean finish. When I'm working with a wheat/wit strain I like to hit lower mid of the recommended temp range. This usually means a slow but steady ferment. 1 bubble per second is a pretty good pace, on some early batches were my temp control was less than ideal i had seen streams of bubbles out a 3/8in tube with no discernible pause or gap...

Lower ferm temps will minimize the amount of phenolics and over the top esters that these strains can be known for. This is more of a "for future reference" as I find that once it's underway changing ferm temps by any significant amount is generally more trouble than benefit.

Glad you didn't dump the batch. Let us know how it turns out.:mug:

Well, the temp on the side of the bucket is reading 64.4f. Hopefully that's not too high for 1010. Gotta go look it up.

It has dramatically slowed this afternoon.

Thread title made me laugh.. They say that drinking while brewing is a requirement.. I'm not so sure that 'they' weren't drunk when they made that rule...

Ouchie at forgetting the hops. I am brewing now and I had to throw in like 15oz of hops and I felt like I was going to mess up the order. Either way don't sweat it, just get as much of it that you can boil and put it through another 60mins. Cool it and pitch yeast, beer will be fine.
.......If this is a 5 Gallon brew? I want to know if you meant 15 oz or 1.5 oz?

15oz is a lot, but if you were doing an all late boil addition IPA with a partial boil I could see it.

Latest posts

Back