adding leaf hops to primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talljetsfan

Reaction score
I brewed a Bohemian Pilsner and added some saaz leaf hops (in a bag) to the primary. it's been about 15 hours since I pitched and I don't see any activity yet...no crausen, haven't taken a reading yet.....will the hops effect fermentation?
After some research here, I've learned you add the hops AFTER fermentation!
Should I take them out now?
Thanks!

I brewed a Bohemian Pilsner and added some saaz leaf hops (in a bag) to the primary. it's been about 15 hours since I pitched and I don't see any activity yet...no crausen, haven't taken a reading yet.....will the hops effect fermentation?
After some research here, I've learned you add the hops AFTER fermentation!
Should I take them out now?
Thanks!

Typically you dry hop after fermentation and it seems odd to dry hop a Bohenian Pils at all. That being said, how much yeast did you pitch? Lag times can sometimes be a day or two, especially if you under pitch.

I love HOPS!
I used Wyeast 2124...bag really didnt expand much after I smacked it....left it out for about 6 hours before pitching....

I love HOPS!
I used Wyeast 2124...bag really didnt expand much after I smacked it....left it out for about 6 hours before pitching....

Well, for a lager a starter is especially necessary. Without a yeast starter, you should have added more like 4 packages of yeast! It's going to take 3-5 days to start fermenting, so you'll have to be patient. Sometimes people who underpitch will set the fermenter somewhere closer to 70 degrees so that the yeast will take off faster, and then move it to 50 degrees once fermentation starts. It doesn't make the best lager, but it is a good way to try to compensate for underpitching.

If you take it out,really you would be stuck with what to do with those hops. My lager took a few days before it started.I think those hops may not so great for yeast vitality,but im shure it would be ok.I think you will just get less aroma since your adding before fermentation begins.

i didnt boil it but i cleaned it with scalding hot water & OxiClean then soaked it in Star San for awhile.

OG was 1078, reading after 40 hrs is 1045....still no kraeusen or air-lock activity....should i pitch another smack pack?

Back