Hop Utilization Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
I recently brewed a 20gal batch, and in doing so used 10 gallons for the boil. My question is this.

Because my boil was 10gal, which I then divided into two seperate damijohns adding 5 gal of water to each damijohn so that both contain 10 gal total.

Does the fact I boiled the hops in only 10 gallon and then added the other 10 gallon post boil effect how the hops are used? It just dawned on me that with the hops being boiled in, there fresh water may dilute the beer? I hope this makes sense.

Basically did i need to boil my hops in the full 20 gal or will i be ok.

More boil volume = less hop needed.
Less boil volume = more hop needed.

If you had a know recipe which called for a half boil, then the hop amount was more than likely fine.

However, if it was a recipe which called for a full boil, you may not have the hop profile you except. A dry hop might help.

I basically took a 5 gallon recipe and just doubled everything, hmmmm I guess I wont know untill I taste it.

I guess ill be ok since it was at least 10gal in the pot but not quite what it should have been.

I hope you meant you did two seperate doubled 5 gallon batches.

What was the OG on the final wort?

You do mean that you multiplied the 5 gallon recipe ingredients by 4, correct? If so, then you'll likely be fine. There's a fair amount of debate lately on whether hops utilization and boil size is a myth. Some test recently were done that indicated that it's actually the amount of break material in the boil that affects the utilization rather than the amount of water. You didn't indicate whether this was a ME or all-grain batch. If all-grain, then you'll have more break material so there may have been some effect. The worst thing that will happen is that it won't be as balanced as you would like. How noticeable that is will likely be determined by what type of beer you brewed. But the good news, is that it'll still be beer. :mug:

Back