lager recipe with ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myersn024

Reaction score
I know that using an ale yeast with a lager recipe will throw off the flavor profile a little, but no too much right? I ask becuase I would like to make a Shiner clone but lack the equipment for lagering. Any input would be appreciated.

Nick

WLP060 or Wyeast 2565 Kölsch Yeast will both produce a lager-like ale up to 70F or so.

You can also find an ale yeast that will drop down into the low range easily...like Wyeast 1007 German Ale. It can go as low as 55 degrees.

How do you get that low? Water bath with a wet t-shirt around the carboy.

Ok, looked at the link...yea lagerator.

Nottingham, Mauribrew and coopers with ferment fairly clean if the temps are in the lower range.

Mauri brew will be failry clean at standard ale temps since it is rated for temps as high as 86F.

Nottingham at 14-16c (uh, what is that in F?) is really clean.

I want to do a lager soonb, but have no desire at this point to spend money on *Real* lagering equipment - so po'boy is for me. I'd give that a shot, sounded like it worked very, very well for a few people.

the poor boy's lagerator will work with a plastic fermenter, right? I've got a plastic bucket that I use for primary fermentation and a 5.5 gallon carboy for secondary.

The son of fermentation chiller seems like a good alternative for us without an extra fridge. I may have to give that a try.

Thanks.

Back