I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do decide to drill it you need to go with masonry or even the diamond drill bits. your regular wood/metal drill bits will not work. Look up methods for drilling a hole in ceramic tile on the googles.

Thanks for the encouragement on the planter guys! Hefe, Dash is doing well, you can see him in one of the pics.

Stauff, glad to hear your pup is doing well. The stairs are a neat idea! Hope all is well in your world.

LRB, love to see the tap handle after you finish it.

It's been raining, hot and muggy recently. The lack of humidity in the central CA valley is what made the plus hundred degree summer temps bearable. 85 and muggy here and I'm just a bucket of sweat. ha ha..

Hope everybody has a great Memorial Day Weekend. I think the wife and I are taking a ride out to the Veterans' cemetery in Kaneohe to visit her Dad and Mom and maybe a ride over to Punchbowl on Sunday.

Cheers!

LRB, you could glue a baseball card holder onto his sign and just slide in a paper label.

I wouldn't drill into ceramic. Not sure how to go forward with your idea. I think I'd carve a wood base for him, maybe with a brace up behind his legs, and use liquid nails to connect the two. Home depot sells the nut that you can hammer into the wood and then screw the whole thing onto your tap.

Hmm the baseball card holder's little edge fits right under the little edge of his placard. Holds it tight without any need for magnets or an adhesive. That settles that. Read up on drilling ceramic. Going to build a perch instead.

20140523_130335.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers to you and cheers to me
To long lost ones who live in thee
To our country we do give and serve
Freedom is a choice we do preserve

God embrace the sacrifice
Our grand folks gave us a free way of life
They all gave some and some gave all
No sacrifice to big or small

Cheers! To those young and old
Who still make our country bold!!!!

In remembrance of those who gave their all
I hold my hand to my heart and stand up tall
In remembrance of those who gave their all
I celebrate those who serve our country's call

Thank you. Army, Coastguard, Air force, Navy, and Marines,
and to the families who are sometimes un-seen...

To you from the USA you do protect
Truly know you have our love, thanks, and respect

-DD

Memorial Day

Nice projects guys. I'd drill a hole in that little stuck up dudes ass, fill him with hydraulic cement and insert a threaded rod that mates with your tap handle before it sets up. Assuming it's hollow.

I'm pouring a concrete window sill for the bathroom makeover. This is the form. I plan to put a piece of rebar in and some 1/2" wire mesh. I'm going to stain it and buff with paste wax.

img_20140520_162159_783-63000.jpg

Ischiavo, that is pretty neat. Man I wish I had your knowledge and creativeness!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was on the rider cutting grass in a tee and shorts about an hour ago. I just lit a fire in the shop. The temp dropped quick. High pressure system i guess. The big party is tomorow for my little 5yo dude. It is supposed to be an awesome day. You are all invited of course.

I am wiped out. Have a great weekend everyone.

Thank you to all our service men and women.

I was on the rider cutting grass in a tee and shorts about an hour ago. I just lit a fire in the shop. The temp dropped quick. High pressure system i guess. The big party is tomorow for my little 5yo dude. It is supposed to be an awesome day. You are all invited of course.

I am wiped out. Have a great weekend everyone.

Thank you to all our service men and women.

Happy birthday to your son Ischiavo,. He has a great dad

Drinking some homebrew, trying to watch the meteor shower. They aren't cooperating, but it is a beautiful, calm, clear, peaceful night.

Life is good!

Drinking some homebrew, trying to watch the meteor shower. They aren't cooperating, but it is a beautiful, calm, clear, peaceful night.

Life is good!

Shower is weak. You get hitched yet amigo?

Shower is weak. You get hitched yet amigo?

Shower sucked. 1 1/2 hours of time lapse photos and nothing.

Saw 2 though when I was setting up.

Yep. Got married on the 10th. Honeymooned on the PCH from San Fran down to SLO.

Thought about heading up your way to SN and Russian River, but not in the cards this trip...

posted this in Dan's Hippie thread a while back and thought I would repost here as I am having a beer from that batch and thinking of a my departed friend...

Today is brew day. That makes me happy and sad at the same time.

About two weeks ago and old friend and shipmate passed away. Mike had been fighting cancer for about 4 years and finally lost the battle. He was a few years younger than me but he joined the Coast Guard a few months before I did and retired after 30 years of service in September. He was a W4 Bos'n, a Surfman who trained upcoming Surfmen at Cape Disappointment, an Officer in Charge as an enlisted man and a Commanding Officer as a Warrant Officer. He saved many lives and influenced even more young Coasties. He was a 6'7 gentle giant and I have never heard anyone say a bad word about him. He had been an avid Home Brewer, but hadn't brewed in a while. Over that last year or so, as we were both nearing retirement, he'd stop by my office or I would wander over to his and we had many discussion about brewing, the Coast Guard and life in general. Needless to say, I miss him greatly.

At his funeral his wife came up to me and told me that Mike wanted me to have his home brewing equipment. She told me that it was in her attic and said that she needed to go through the attic and clean it. I told her that I would do that for her, so last week when my oldest son had a day off school I took him over to her house and cleaned the attic. It was tough to got through the possessions of a man whose life so mirrored my own and I joked with my son that when I die he'll be doing the same thing in our attic.

In one corner of the attic was a treasure trove of home brewing supplies. Cornie kegs, keggles, kegging supplies, quick disconnects, chillers, a counterflow chiller and carboys and buckets. There was so much stuff I had a hard time getting it all in my car.

I am using some of that equipment today.

Mike had told me that his wife loved Raspberry Blonde Ales and one time he had a batch fermenting in his kitchen and the airlock got plugged up. Pressure built in the carboy and when the top blew off it spewed sticky raspberry beer all over his freshly painted kitchen ceiling and kitchen. He laughed and said that he conveniently had to go to work to respond to a search and rescue case leaving his wife to clean up the mess.

So in his honor and in thanks to his wife, my first brew using Mike's gear is "Repaint the Ceiling Raspberry Blonde Ale" that I will deliver to his wife when I get it bottled and aged.

This the beer and if I say so myself, it is outstanding.

RIP Mike

photo.php

photo.JPG

CGVT, wonderful story. Thank you again for sharing something so special. Old friends never go away they live in the hearts and minds of their friends and family.

Happy Memorial Day. :mug:

I got a flier the other day from Williams Brewing. I had never checked them out before. I'm not brewing anytime soon, maybe never again, my personal jury still out on that one. But I kind of like WB flier at least. Looks like decent prices. I didn't see any grain although they sell gear for all grain brewing. Standard flat rate shipping seems very reasonably priced if you aren't just buying a couple packages of yeast - then it would be expensive but a decent sized order shipping cost would be a plus. I didn't read if it the prices are in the contiguous US or all 50 states. Probably only the mainland which is understandable.

Queen. Roll I'm on. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:
Try

Sent from my iPhone

I hate when I type a post and it just disappears.

Well, I finally poured the sill today. It was a lot of screwing around but I can do the next one in half the time if this works out.

img_20140527_153705_397-63047.jpg

I just got done with the garden tiller and rake smoothing out my gravel parking spot next to the brew shop. I had some unusually big ruts this year. Must have been the slow thaw. It is nice and smooth and pretty now and I wont chip any more teeth pulling in.

I think I have told you guys about my old ******* neighbor. Well, I found a pile of dog **** on my back deck the other morning. I once found a pile on my patio table back when we had a dog. We had to find a new home for the dog about a year ago. This guy just wont quit. My next investment is having my property line surveyed and putting up the tallest fence that I can still lob somone elses dog **** over.

I was unfortunate enough to meet up with them at the gas station the other day and they both confronted me. I have never seen such hatred in someone's eyes. I really cannot figure out what I ever did to them. I have never met such mean people.

I found a nice security camera mount in my junk at the shop and borrowed my brothers trail camera. I mounted that in an inconspicuous spot on the back deck until I can get the fence. I hope I catch him doing something stupid. At least I will have a lot of nice pictures of our cats.

Here is a nice soothing late night track dedicated to my neighbors:

why a concrete sill?

Just a crazy idea I had. I really like concrete countertops so I figured a sill may be nice. The cats tore the hell out of the wall and old wood sill because they like to lay in that window. A concrete sill and tile wall should solve that problem as well.

That's all I got. Why not a concrete sill?

I seem to recall a thread like that, too, but the only one I could dig up is this thread which doesn't look quite right to me.

If you haven't read Altered Carbon, you might try that. It has some similarities to the eponymous story in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.

I just finished Altered Carbon. It was very good. Thanks again for the recommendation. :mug:

A random thing, but I don't think I have ever seen the word sill without window in front of it. Hmm.

It could be a fort, mount, door, river or Swedish herring. Just off the top of my head;)

No reason, I was just curious. I put a new sill in a large window in our dining room when I wainscoted the walls. I used soft pine and it has been scratched by our dog. Wish that one was hard wood, or concrete :)

I know what you mean. My three boys have left their marks on my remodeling work.

Mahalo, Dan. Hope all is well. And the same to the rest of ya. I hope everyone is doing well, is relaxed and living the dream. Even though I do not speak up much in this thread it gives me much comfort and I feel included just lurking. I hope that I can pass on some of my current zen relaxed happy mood with the rest of you all. Cheers!

It could be a fort, mount, door, river or Swedish herring. Just off the top of my head;)

I know what you mean. My three boys have left their marks on my remodeling work.

I've raised 3 kids and numerous animals. I'm ready for the whole-house spacking/paint job.

This past weekend I went up in the attic and rooted around and found the dead rat nested in the insulation that was causing the smell in my youngest boy's bedroom. No small job considering it's over 90 down here and a dead ripe rat is very aromatic.

Holy hell late nite crew! Wednesday again. How do we do it, week after week, making ends meet. All while trying to keep a calm face for the family. I dunno, I should win an oscar some day.

A song I like from the movie Everything is Illuminated, Paul Cantelon who is superb. Great movie if you haven't seen it, and Paul Cantelon radio on Pandora is great. Chill is the word for early early, before the family wakes up, and after sundown. Cheers all.

Back