Efficiency/Volume Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSomps6

Reaction score
I've done 5/6 gallon all grain batches on my system (10 gallon mash tun with SS braid) with no problems. Last night I did my first 10 gallon batch - planned for 1060. With the grain and water, I about one inch shy of the top of the cooler. I run a single tier with a HERMS coil and also pump from the MT to the BK. I had a rough time with stuck sparge last night and doing the batch sparge. It took me over an hour to get 10 gallons into the BK when I really wanted 11.5 or 12, so I just called it good. I had a low boil and end up with almost 9 gallons - 8 of which are fermenting well.

This leaves me with 2 questions:

- Do I need to come up with a better false bottom than the stainless steel braid for these bigger batches?

- Since I'm still dialing in my system I'd like to know my efficiency. If I ended up with 9 gallons of 1067 instead of 10 gallons of 1060 with a planned efficiency of 70%.... What was my actual efficiency?

Thanks!

- Since I'm still dialing in my system I'd like to know my efficiency. If I ended up with 9 gallons of 1067 instead of 10 gallons of 1060 with a planned efficiency of 70%.... What was my actual efficiency?

Easiest way to do this is with you recipe software, do you use any? I use beer tools pro and on the analysis tab you can imput your actuals and it will give your efficiency. I am sure there is also a manual way to calculate this but I have never done it.

This info may be of use if you want to work it out manually:

http://www.davikbrewing.com/blog/brewing_101/calculating-brewing-efficiency

If you are having issues or dialing in your system, use this until you get comfy with your setup.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/efficiency-analysis-spreadsheet-107911/

For your batch, you were JUST better than your target efficiency. Your 1.067 in 9 gallons is the equivalent of 10.05 gallons of 1.060. Make sure you learn your boil-off losses and adjust pre-boil volume based on measures SG. You should have a pre-boil target volume and gravity.

This is a handy calculator as well for volume adjustments:
http://www.brewheads.com/newvolume.php

Yeah, I had a preboil target, but today I realized the that the 2.5 pounds of flaked oats probably had something to do with stuck/very slow draining mash. After spending 1.5 hours trying to get to my preboil through batch sparging I called it good enough.

I did do the calc and came up with 71% efficiency... so I was right there!

Next time, the flaked oats go on top instead of mixing them in!

Yeah, I had a preboil target, but today I realized the that the 2.5 pounds of flaked oats probably had something to do with stuck/very slow draining mash. After spending 1.5 hours trying to get to my preboil through batch sparging I called it good enough.

I did do the calc and came up with 71% efficiency... so I was right there!

Next time, the flaked oats go on top instead of mixing them in!

You can also and some rice hulls if it was stuck. The SS braids tend to get stuck more often than manifolds (based only on what I have read here, I have never owned a braid-based MT)

Back