Kegerator compressor running 24/7?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eigenbrau

Reaction score
I'm new to the mini-fridge world, and I noticed that the compressor is running 24 hours a day. Does anyone else have this? I know large refrigerators go on and off, but haven't had experience with the little guys.

I would think that a small kegerator with full kegs in it would hardly ever kick on. I have not really paid a lot of attention to mine to see how much it is actually running, but I do know that when I have walked over to it to get a pint or swap a keg or whatever, I have never found it running. I think mine rarely turns on unless I have the door open for a while.

Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like the thermostat may be blown then. I've got a Johnson on the way to override the stock job, hopefully that will alleviate the problem.

Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like the thermostat may be blown then. I've got a Johnson on the way to override the stock job, hopefully that will alleviate the problem.

Depends on what your problem is.

Is the thing getting cold? If it is running all the time it should be getting REALLY cold in there, possibly into the freezing temp range.

I would put a thermometer in there and check it every hor or so to see what temp you have. If your compressor is on it's deathbed and not keeping the fridge cold enough to trip the thermostat, the the Johnson controller isn't going to fix anything.

Depends on what your problem is.

Is the thing getting cold? If it is running all the time it should be getting REALLY cold in there, possibly into the freezing temp range.

I would put a thermometer in there and check it every hor or so to see what temp you have. If your compressor is on it's deathbed and not keeping the fridge cold enough to trip the thermostat, the the Johnson controller isn't going to fix anything.

If the comp runs constantly and stuff isnt frozen you got no freon !! If the fridge runs constant and S##t is frozen t-stat is shot! Can u hear the compressor running if so is ur fridge cold?Your fridge shouldnt run non stop unless its under a huge heat load like the door being open :(

It is indeed cold. I've got the thermometer in there and it's holding at 34 degrees at a 2 (out of 7) setting. The fridge is working, I think the stat's blown.

Hrm... did you actually sit by your kegerator for 24 hours? :drunk:

Mine never ran all the time, but it was tough to get a steady temp where I wanted it with just a dial thermostat. It was either freezing 30F or above where I wanted it at 45 with no middle ground. I've since went to the johnson controls to override it and got it dialed in right at 40F. I have checked it several times after setting this up the past couple days and the johnson has my fridge turned off a lot more than on, it appears. But its holding nice and steady at 40F! You should enjoy the johnson controller...

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I just came back to let you know that I put a Johnson Controls thermostat on there and it fixed the problem. The stat was indeed blown. If you guys are curious, you can see my kegerator on the sticky, it's military themed and works quite well now thanks to your help. Cheers!

Edit: Quick link to fridge.

Back