Spigot troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misplaced_Canuck

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
No, not an enlarge prostate.

I have the spiggot to my well that's been leaking. It leaks from the top where the handle bolts to the valve. Normally I'd just replace it, but the standpipe (is that the right word?) that leads to the spiggot is PVC, about 15+ years old. So the moment I try to unscrew the spiggot, I'm pretty sure the PVC pipe will go too. I'd rather not have to fix more PVC.

Is there a replaceable washer/o-ring in those metal spiggots?

Looks like this:

spigot.jpg

M_C

there is probably a packing that has gone bad. Whether or not you can replace it easily is another question though.

Update...

I bought a replacement spiggot for it, and I took it apart to see what was removable/replaceable. I easily removed the top part of the spiggot, revealing the o-ring/washers/etc.

ezgze9.jpg

When I went to replace the top part on the old one, I soon realized that it had loosened up due to use. I simply re-tightened it (not too tight) and the leak went away. Simple fix.

M_C

Back