did I screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnpaddler

Reaction score
Yesterday I did my first all grain brew. At the end of draining my mash into my brew kettle, I set aside 2 quarts in case I came out short on the boil. At the end of the boil I transferred to 2 five gallon carboys and found myself about a pint and 1/2 short in each 5 gallon carboy (10 gallon batch of Ale). Without thinking I just poured 2 pints into each carboy to top off to the 5 gallon marks.

I did not boil these two Pints!!!!!! My yeast took off right away in each carboy but I was told that it may sour my Ale.......any opinions out there?

Thanks for any response....cheers

The unboiled wort could have bacteria on it from the grains. They can survive the temperatures associated with mashing. Hopefully your yeast are strong and fast and can overpower any bacteria.

m94nO.jpg

:D

I recently put my entire arm into my post-boil brew. I'll let you know how it turns out.. lol.. Don't worry about it. It may or may not be fine. Worrying about it won't change anything, and there's nothing you can physically do at this point except drink a homebrew.

You'll be surprised; most of the time you'll be alright.

The only thing to do is RDWHAHB

I forgot to put my chiller into my wort before it finished boiling - Let ya know how it turns out in a few weeks!:drunk:

also remember boiling drives out the DMS. so you could have some vegetable/cabbage flavors, butsince its only a half gallon, it probably wont' be too noticable.

thank you for the support and info (smile) I have done a lot stupider things in my life, but right now it has been 24 hours. My yeast is going so strong in both carboys that it sounds like someone playing the drums....so maybe bacteria will not be the problem as the yeast took off withinh minutes of pouring it in!

I have a friend who makes wine and believe it or not, about once a day he walks by and gives it a stir with his hand all the way up to his shoulder!!! He has never had a bad batch-according to him because i will never drink it!!!!! HaHaHaha

Back