Temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
Just wandering what is the temp controller of choice. A Johnson A419 type or a digital aquarium type. Both look good and should do the job of keeping a keezer at the correct temp. Both also look to require about the same steps to install

Last edited by a moderator:
Ranco, Johnson, Love, e-bay aquarium-type,...

lots of everything here - Pick what you like and then search on that item for any assistance needed.

My fermenter is controlled by a Love TSS2-2100
and my kegerator by a Love TS-13010

For a keezer, if you're looking at only cooling, all you need is a single stage controller. If you want to later use the controller for a ferm chamber, get a dual-stage controller.

I bought a Johnson A419 and it works fine. If I was going to do it again I'd buy the Love TSS2-2100 and a single probe:

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/T...witches/DigitalPanelMount/SeriesTSS2/Ordering

It's also the most techy way to go because of the enclosure/outlet build and lots of variables. But, heating & cooling control from the same probe at the same time can theoretically keep a fermenation very controlled.

^^ That's not a bad price for that controller! I just wired one of the eBay aquarium controllers for about half that, but it's not rated for 20 amps!

Does anyone know if the $20 controllers on eBay are any good for a basic keezer?

Does anyone know if the $20 controllers on eBay are any good for a basic keezer?

They are, and you don't even need the STC-1000 model. The Willhi model is a single-stage, but if you're just using it for a keezer, then you don't need a dual-stage like the STC-1000.

I got my single-stage controller for $14.28, shipped. Got it on the earliest estimated arrival date. Temperature readings seem accurate. Had a nice stainless steel (I think, metal either way) probe too. Here's a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290704096237

Hi

The STC-1000's are down to about $17 delivered. They are nice if you eventually decide you need to both heat and cool (like for fermentation or a garage keezer). They are a more flexible controller than the most basic Johnson's. Features like adjustable cut in / cut out and compressor restart delay are useful weather you heat of cool.

The relays in the STC's are rated for 15A at 110V. That's about all you are likely to get out of a normal wall plug. My 15 cubic foot freezer only pulls 5A. I'm not real sure what sort of keezer would need more than 15.

Bob

Out of curiosity, where can I look for the STC-1000 at $17 delivered ?

On eBay it's more like $23-24 and more. Not a big issue, but maybe I'm missing good deals online.

That's old info. They're going for the price you found now. Unless you want a single-stage like I described above. Then you can get one for less than $15 shipped.

IMHO, the anti short cycle delay feature (like in the Johnson A419) is nice to have and something worth looking for in a controller for refrigeration equipment (compressors).

Hey,

I'm using a small insulated wooden box big enough for two carboys. Inside, I have a brewers' heating pad. I'm keeping the temperature inside to about 10-20F above ambient. I'm wild brewing.

Should I get a two stage or one stage and which controller should I get if I want to mount it in a project box?

Latest posts

Back