Need tree id

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goofynewfie

Reaction score
the fruit looks like cherries bit is hard and very tart. I think it is a sour cherry but not sure since it was already growing in backyard when I moved in. I am in edmonton alberta canada if that info is needed. If I am correct dont these make a nice wine?

ForumRunner_20120518_101545.jpg

The fruit are small and are identical to cherries in shape and size. They are much smaller than the crabapple in my yard and this tree usually blossoms a week or more sooner than the crabapple. The reason why I wasnt sure if they were cherries is because the are hard and tart.
That being said Im not ruling out a species of crabapple I havent seen before, but would like to get a few opinions and go with the majority

thinking it may be a crabapple now,but for comparison here is a crab apple tree less than 50 feet away and a comparison of the leaves from both tree. crab apple is the green leaf, and it may not show in photo but the apple leaf is flat where the other 1 is more concave

ForumRunner_20120518_111921.jpg

ForumRunner_20120518_111953.jpg

Was really hoping this was a sour cherry, but not looking good. Oh well, crab apples make great cider

I also think that it is an apple tree.

1 out of 80,000 apple seeds will produce a tree with edible fruit, the rest make trees like yours.

Latest posts

Back