Recipe advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighorn_brew

Reaction score
Hi all,
6th or 7th all grain batch here, and am wanting some advice. I wanna do a 5 gallon pale ale. So Far in the 5gallon gott cooler:

8lbs of 2 row malteurop
1lb 12 oz of 2 row malteurop amber malt that I toasted myself
2 cups of rolled oats
1 lb of uncooked white rice that I will cook prior to mashing

Question: What potential gravity am I looking at here? I have a pound of cascade pelletized hops on hand, what would your hop schedule look like?
I have a 5 gallon gott cooler, how much mash water would you use, and at what temp? How much sparge water would you use?
I have more 2 row on hand, and 2 lbs of american wheat and 2 lbs german wheat, should I add more 2 row or all the wheat and try and go for a 10 gallon batch? I have a converted keg to boil, and have us-05 yeast and a smack pack of weihenstephen wheat yeast. I have plenty of fermenting vessels, please advise, thanks!

Well, most of those questions can be readily answered by using one of the many free online recipe calculators. As foar as the recipe goes, I don't see the need for rice or the oats at all... I'm assuming you are shooting for a an American Pale ale. So the wehat won't be needed either. Also, weinhenstephaner wheat yeast would be completely inappropriate for a pale ale, so DON'T use that. However, the US-05 would be a good choice as well as the cascade hops. Check out this recipe... I think you could come pretty close with your ingredients.... although you will need some crystal. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/da-yoopers-house-pale-ale-100304/ Also this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/ You could also experiement using the ingredients you have on hand.

Oats for increased head retention, and rice just to try it out (haven't added any adjunct grains to mash yet) only had done barley malts. In addition, I only have a limited amount of "beer makings" on hand, kinda fun to work within constraints.
I am going to pitch this onto a 3 gallon SMaSH of 2 row malteurop that I brewed on thursday and used us-05.
I am going to brew a true 50/50 barley wheat tomorrow that I will use the weinhenstephaner yeast on, maybe use a lb or two of this clover honey that is sitting here begging to be eaten.

Oh, btw, what is a good online calculator? For some reason the ones I am finding are really only good for wine making as they omit grains...any help is appreciated...

Back