Slovenian Celeia Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyWater

Reaction score
So our supplier at work sent us a box of these hops. Says it is a cross between Savinjski Golding, Aurora and Slovenian wild hops between 5-6%AA, but our box says 2.8%AA. Of course I don't know what those others are like either. I've been thinking of bringing home a couple oz's and brewing a batch, but have no idea what to expect, smells noble-ish.

Anyone have any experience using this variety? Apparently it's been around since the 80's so someone may have had a chance to try it out before.

Guess I'll be the first to try them out. I'll let you guys know what the results are in case anyone else comes across these hops and wants to give them a try.

Haven't used them, but I googled them quickly. It appears the Savinjski Golding is Styrian Golding, or very similar. The wild hops, of course, are anybody's guess. The aurora, according to the website hoppris.com, has an intense and pleasant aroma, so I would use it accordingly.

Haven't tried 'em. But yeah, Savinjski Goldings is just Styrian Goldings (which is in turn Fuggle grown in Slovenija, with its own character I'd say). Aurora is also called Super Styrians.

Please report back on these. Curious about them. I was just in Slovenija yesterday myself picking up grain.

Try a SMASH or other wise simple grain bill and use only that hop. Make a small batch if you like. You'll get a good idea of what they taste like.

I also have a lb of them to test out, I'm thinking about making some kind of smash with maris otter and celeia.

I also have a lb of them to test out, I'm thinking about making some kind of smash with maris otter and celeia.

That sounds like it might be pretty good, Otter Creek uses them in a Pils but I haven't tried that. I think Goldings/Fuggles might be close, with that wild variety adding some noble character to aroma. To the others that got these, are they all 2.8%AA?

I found threads on other sites about the same hops, but no one has used them. I guess all of our breweries have the same supplier. I read the memo that said these won't be the only samples that they send either, so maybe some neat things to come as well.

I discovered the Celeia hops when Austin Homebrew offered them as a seasonal. They are now sold out and I regret I didn't buy extra while I could. The Belgian style ale I made with Celeia has been a big hit with everyone who has tried it. The mini-mash recipe I did was:

3 lb Belgian Pilsner Malt
3 lb Extra Pale Extract
2 lb Honey
1 oz Styrian Golding
1.5 oz Celeia
White Labs Belgian Golden 570

The Styrian Golding is added at the start of the boil for bittering. 0.5 oz of Celeia is added for the last 15 minutes for flavor. 1 oz of Celeia is added in the last 5 minutes for aroma. The result is a light ale with a very slightly citrus flavor and a pleasing floral aroma. ABV was 5.25%.

I notice that this post is several months old. If you still have the hops I'd suggest you try them. Like I said, I wish I could get more.

John

These are added for three flavor hop additions in Ommegang BPA, if any of you are familiar with that beer. It's personally in my top 3 favorites, so i'd love to get my hands on some of these and maybe take a shot at a clone.

Has anyone had an opportunity to do the clone of Ommegang bpa? Something similar?

Are regular fuggles a decent enough substitute for this variety?

Latest posts

Back