fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourteen

Reaction score
hello everyone i would first like to start off by saying that i am new to this forum and brewing in general im working on a stout right now, and some friends and i have been making cider for a few months, i cant wait to fill my head with your knowledge

i just have one quick question for now.

i started a coffee stout this past Sunday. it has been fermenting for about 5 days now. it seems as if the primary fermentation is almost complete, it developed a head and that is now dropping, action in the airlock is halting as well. my question is, is this to short of a period for it to already be done with primary fermentation.

i am following the instructions of a fool proof ingredient kit from my local brew store.

thank you all in advance for your input

- fourteen

Sounds like you are on the righ track. Signs of fermentation can dissolve in a very short period of time. Leave the beer in the primary for a min of three weeks and you'll be happy.

Welcome!

Primary fermentation is still taking place even when the bubbles stop. The yeast continue to work for a while longer. For a high gravity beer like a stout I would tend to leave it in the primary at least 10 days if you plan to rack to secondary. If not I would go 3 weeks in the primary.

That is a perfectly normal time frame for the krausen to start to fall. Now you just have to avoid the temptation to mess with it for a few more weeks.

Back