Keg level guage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone used this yet? Also, is there a chart of some kind to gauge beer?http://www.micromatic.com/part-pid-SS100.html

I have one of these (it came with my keezer conversion kit) They do work, BUT, you have to mist the gauge with warm water then wipe it off, near impossible to do using a chest freezer. I just use the lift the corny method, after a while you can tell by the weight how much beer you have left. My cornies are always very light.:eek:

If I really need to know the level I will pull a corny out of my kegerator. After a minute or two the condensation on the outside of the corny will tell you exactly what level the beer is at. Then I just put it back in. Probably not the greatest method buy I rarely do this and it works when I need it to.

Beer is about 8 pounds per gallon so it would be easy to estimate with one of those hanging scales made for weighing fish.

My wife was going to donate an old bathroom scale to goodwill, I saw it in the pile and grabbed it for my brewing needs. It's very useful to have around for seeing how much beer, co2, propane is left.

To me, knowing exactly how much is left is pretty unnecessary - I can tell with a quick lift whether it's roughly 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 full or so, which is all I really need to know. When it gets REALLY low, if I'm really interested in predicting how many more pints before it kicks, I can slosh it a bit for a better estimate... If I care that much.

I do have one of those smartstrips, but I hardly ever use it... Bringing a rag soaked in hot water over to check on it is way more work than just grabbing it and lifting.

Thanks for all the good replies. I like the scale idea and the condensation trick too. Sometimes I like to know how much beer I might have left to bring to a club meeting or party.

Best
KD

Latest posts

Back