Cider Recipe, I need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
:D Do you guys think this simple recipe will be ok for a good tasting, a little on the sweet side girly drink?? (my wife likes hard apple cider)

13 cans of apple juice concentrate
1 lb of grade A honey
1/2 lb of brown sugar
1-1 1/2 lbs of gordie lt DME1 pkg wyeast, cider yeast

I want it to taste similar to the woodpecker hard cider, she loves it

I can use all the help I can get, im a newbie.

Thanks

You'd be better off using pure cider with no preservatives. Or atleast check that your concentrate isn't preserved by potassium sorbate or other means. You'll have a heck of a time getting a ferment going with a preservative in the fermenter.

Also be aware most ciders take considerable time to age.

Sounds about right for 5 gallons. You might want to hold off on the sugar and honey until the second day. Cider ferments can be violent.

Certainly fresh juice is better, but I've done ciders from concentrate without preservatives.

Thanks David, I will make sure I check that there are no preservatives it it before brewing. Do I need to do like a 15 minute boil on the wort (must)? Then take the honey and sugar and do a small boil and add it after 1-2 days, maybe after the blow off simmers down a lil bit?? Thanks again, this is my first attempt at a cider. :confused:

Don't boil the juice, but heating everything else together would be a good idea. Try 165F for 15 minutes, that's what I use for berries & such to kill wild yeast.

Back