With 4 week Primary does Carbination occur?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
I just kegged my first beer. It was actually my first beer in about 12yrs. It was a True Brew Maestro kit, Nut brown Ale. After reading on here I decided to go with the 4 weeks in primary.

When I just transferred it to the keg the beer I swallowed getting the siphon started seemed to be carbonated. Perhaps not fully but it was not flat.

Is this normal?

It was deliscious BTW ;) Seemed like I could have just started drinking it :ban::ban::ban:

There is always CO2 in the solution because of fermentation. If your fermentation was done on the cool side more CO2 will be left in the solution. As it warms up more CO2 is released by the solution and, therefore, will be flatter and will require more priming sugar to carbonate it.

So, if you fermented at, let's say 60F, then your beer may have a good amount or CO2 in it. I made an amber ale that fermented at 60 and I remember seeing quite a bit of bubbles and foaming when I would take a gravity reading.

not sure on the carbonation...but an autosiphon only costs about $9 or $10, makes racking way easier than sucking on the tube :D

Latest posts

Back