ebay aquarium temp controller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did anyone else see the rebel brewer sells these now as well. I think royalties are due to original poster. Still can believe their price but i guess they gotta make money

shoot I might as well make them premade and sell on ebay as "rebel Brewing " clone for $69.99

I want to write a review linking back to this thread I feel bad for anyone actually paying 89.99

-=Jason=-

shoot I might as well make them premade and sell on ebay as "rebel Brewing " clone for $69.99

I want to write a review linking back to this thread I feel bad for anyone actually paying 89.99

-=Jason=-

I hope Android and Ubermick are getting some kickback for every unit sold! Not to mention, the outlets are on the wrong side...I sit min on top of my fridge. Guess you could place it sideways, but then who wants to turn their head? :)

-=Jason=-

$90 isn't bad if you have no idea how to put one together yourself. Some people aren't as good as you or I when it comes to building stuff.

I do agree, I don't like the placement of the receptacle.

$90 isn't bad if you have no idea how to put one together yourself. Some people aren't as good as you or I when it comes to building stuff.

I do agree, I don't like the placement of the receptacle.

Well, if they couldn't follow the directions in this thread on how to put it together, outlet placement included, what makes you so sure THEY had an idea on how to put it together? :drunk:

i didnt mean it in any way to be a bad remark against rebel brewer. Just another reason i am glad i like DIY projects

What would be the price on a 2 stage Johnson or Love though?

70-80 and your controller is in F° not C°

also LOVE you can get different color led screen so if you want BLUE instead of read its doable.

-=Jason=-

Got a link for that? I've never seen a wired 2-stage johnson (or ranco) for that price before. But, I've never looked at the Love controllers.

LOVE has a crapload of controllers not sure which one exactly is what we need. anyways if I was going to drop $90 it would be on a Love controller.

just feel bad they are charging so much when it cost so little.

ebay controller 25
radioshack box 6.99
outlet / cover 2.99
extension cord 10

I want to leave a comment but I am sure it would get deleted from the product review page.

-=Jason=-

LOVE has a crapload of controllers not sure which one exactly is what we need. anyways if I was going to drop $90 it would be on a Love controller.

Yes, I'm sure LOVE makes a lot of controllers, but it's not fair to compare the price of a bare controller to the price of a completed product, in an enclosure, and ready to plug in and use. If you want to make THAT comparison, then you need to compare the LOVE to the STC-1000 on ebay, and not Rebel's product.

just feel bad they are charging so much when it cost so little.

ebay controller 25
radioshack box 6.99
outlet / cover 2.99
extension cord 10

Yes, I agree it's a big mark-up and you can build one for $40-$45, and an hour or so of your time. BUT... If I were to make these and sell them, I would have to charge at least $80 for it to be worth my time.

Also, some people are just not DIY people and will pay for the work to be done for them. Heck there are people that will pay an extra $20 for someone to attach the power cords to a johnson controller, so I wouldn't be surprised at all that someone would pay $50 for a complete assembly of $40 in parts.

DIY is always going to be cheaper, but just isn't what works for some people.

agreed /\, with that said, if anyone is feeling unsure about making one yourself they are VERY simple to do and with help from all the people on this thread who have been GREAT! it is easier than you would think

Has anyone connected a Fermwrap around the carboy for the heating side of this controller? I was planning on using a Thermowell Stopper so I can get the actual temperature of the wort inside of the carboy.

I checked briefly and noticed a difference between the SCT-1000 and the Love TSS2 (which is $70) is the amperage of the unit that can be controlled.

The SCT has 10A for both (heating and cooling).
The TSS2 has one 16A and one 8A.

You would have to look at the heating and cooling elements that you want to control to determine what amperage is needed.

So what is the best tool for cutting outlet & controller holes in the Radio Shack project box?

I used a dremel with a cut-off disc to go sraight down through, but then inserted a small hacksaw blade through the slit to make the rest of the cut. The saw went faster than the dremel.

Small hand file to smooth things out.

my experience with cutting plastic and the dremmel is that it melts the plastic rather than making a nice cut. perhaps I have the RPMS to high but slower RPM doesn't seem to cut it.

I personally used a sharp razer blade. I made several light passes with the bladed until I punched through and then I was able to just slice all the way through plastic

-=Jason=-

Thanks again to the OP! I got the controller in and built the unit fairly easy and it's now controlling the temp for a new batch of beer brewed today.

Mine still hasn't arrived :mad: Ordered it Jan. 4, they claim it was shipped on the 6th with an anticipated delivery date of Jan. 13 - Jan. 21.......I have the outlet wired and mounted in the box, just waiting very impatiently, with an empty Keezer, for the controller to arrive. :(

I ordered Jan 5 and it's expected to get here on or before the 24th...we'll see ...

Mine took like 2 weeks. I was so anxious to get it, I constantly checked the mailbox!

Mine is going into week three now. For the last 7-10 days I have been walking out to the mailbox as anxious as a kid walking down the stairs on Christmas morning, only to find a lump of coal in the mailbox. :(

And it will begin again tomorrow at around 3:00pm EST........

d_ozz68 said:
Mine still hasn't arrived :mad: Ordered it Jan. 4, they claim it was shipped on the 6th with an anticipated delivery date of Jan. 13 - Jan. 21.......I have the outlet wired and mounted in the box, just waiting very impatiently, with an empty Keezer, for the controller to arrive. :(

Strange I ordered mine Jan 6th and got the 20th.

you can't really complain about the shipping time here guys. The shipping is free and it has to come half way around the world.

I suspect that stuff piles up to be shipped and catches the next cargo boat across the pacific. If you get lucky, yours gets on the boat the day after you order. If you get unlucky, it sits for a couple of weeks before it gets on a boat.

If you wanted it faster than "free", then you had the option of paying for it.

Just saying....

you can't really complain about the shipping time here guys. The shipping is free and it has to come half way around the world.

I suspect that stuff piles up to be shipped and catches the next cargo boat across the pacific. If you get lucky, yours gets on the boat the day after you order. If you get unlucky, it sits for a couple of weeks before it gets on a boat.

If you wanted it faster than "free", then you had the option of paying for it.

Just saying....

Well, to be more accurate, you either paid a higher price for the item with free shipping, or you paid a lower price with an added-on shipping fee.

either way, the thing ships for very litt and comes from the other side of the planet.

I ordered another one on 1/4/11 and it arrived on 1/14/11.

Is there an issue with splicing the sensor wire?

I ordered another one on 1/4/11 and it arrived on 1/14/11.

Is there an issue with splicing the sensor wire?

Ordered mine the same day and the mailman came and went today, 10 days after yours arrived, and still no controller.

I guess all I can do is wait........

Well, to be more accurate, you either paid a higher price for the item with free shipping, or you paid a lower price with an added-on shipping fee.

either way, the thing ships for very litt and comes from the other side of the planet.

Considering I ordered a case for my Archos 101 tablet in the middle of December and just got it last week from China as well as paid a ton for shipping, I would say this controller was shipped for minimal cost and quickly.

I have mine all built but it is not turning on any lamps. I lost the instructions. Can anyone post a copy of them.
thanx

I have mine all built but it is not turning on any lamps. I lost the instructions. Can anyone post a copy of them.
thanx

press set button once use arrows to dial in your temp

press and hold set button to change from Heat or Cool

thats just about it the other options I haven't messed with.

mind you I probably have a different controller than you do

-=Jason=-

Here's a silly question. Can the stock probe that came with it be submerged in liquid? Or anyone have a recommendation for one that can be?

Here's a silly question. Can the stock probe that came with it be submerged in liquid? Or anyone have a recommendation for one that can be?

I'm pretty sure it can. It's encased in rubber, it sold as an aquarium controller, and rebel brewer says that their probe (which is probably safe to assume is the stock one that comes with it) can be submersed.

press set button once use arrows to dial in your temp

press and hold set button to change from Heat or Cool

thats just about it the other options I haven't messed with.

mind you I probably have a different controller than you do

-=Jason=-

Yeah, you have a different controller than the rest of us.

For the "SCT-1000" controller (like in the OP):
by default, it shows the current temp.

Pressing up or down shows you the set-temp for a moment and then returns to the default screen.

Pressing the set button and holding it for a few seconds goes into programming mode.

In programming mode, up and down cycles through the 4 parameters you can tweak.

F1 = set temp
F2 = "slop" range
F3 = compressor delay value
F4 = probe error correction

Cycle to the one you want to change with up and down. pressing set will show you the current value. pressing up and down while holding in the set button will change the value.

When you are all done changing things, press the power button to commit the changes and save them, then it returns to the default display.

Back