Big Step for WV Craft Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJinWV

Reaction score
This is great news for WVians!

http://www.wboy.com/story/29046376/new-bill-opens-doors-for-craft-brewers

A new bill signed by Governor Earl Ray Tomblin is aiding local craft breweries.

The bill will reduce licensing fees for brewers like Bill Rittenour, the owner of Chestnut Brew Works in Morgantown.

Brewers will also be able to see and refill 64-ounce growlers.

This will allow brewers to make more money, grow their businesses and possibly lead to more craft breweries in West Virginia.

“It'll make it a little cheaper for me to do my business, and it'll also promote the craft beer industry in general, as far as new craft breweries opening,” said Rittenour. “In the craft brewer's world, we don't see that as competition. We see that as promoting the industry and promoting people to drink craft beer.”

With the bill, Rittenour said he expects more tourists and residents alike to seek out local craft brews.

“Craft brew enthusiasts don't go to a bar saying, ‘I want Chestnut Brew Works, that's my beer.' They say, ‘what's new, and what can I try?'” said Rittenour. “Just by increasing the awareness, all craft breweries benefit from that. So, this bill does just that.”

The bill was signed at the beginning of American Craft Beers Week, which runs through May 17.

To be fair, I do walk into a bar and say, ‘I want Chestnut Brew Works, that's my beer.' Bill makes amazingly good beer.

I really hope this bill isn't just disguised as good for WV craft beer. I like the idea of being able to go anywhere and fill a growler, but if it only ends up hurting WV breweries, that will be a real shame.

I know Brewstel in Elkins just got their license so they can start selling and distributing in the near future. Also, they are supposed to be opening a growler filling station sometime soon. These guys really embrace/promote the whole brewing experience, like hosting pork roasts on brew day, and I am looking forward to watching them grow.

Back