Sunday is my day!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewgardner

Reaction score
After just under a year and just over a hundred gallons of beer - Sunday is my first go at all grain. I got my buddy Ben (on this forum as Beninan) coming over to assist me. I am super excited! Slainte! :mug:

Good luck with your first AG brew, it really is a lot easier than it may sound and having someone experienced will take a lot of stress off as well.

What are you going to brew?

Chromados

Good luck man! Can I offer a two small suggestions to make sure it goes smoothly? If so,

1. Use a brew calc to figure out your strike temps (and batch sparge temps if you're batch sparging) and be sure to take the temp of your grains so you hit it dead on. Most of us keep our grains in the fridge, I take mine out the night before and leave them on the kitchen table. Even still, the grains often are slightly lower than ambient temps.

2. Make sure to preheat your mash tun, this will help you hit your temps correctly.

Rev.

Yeah; you're gonna love all grain.. little bit more work; but options are endless.

Thanks for the tip Rev! I am brewing a rye stout. Here is my grain bill:

10 lbs Marris Otter
2lb Rye
1lb Flaked Rye
.5 lb Black Kiln
.5 lb C~120
.5 lb Chocolate Rye

1 oz Warrior full 60 min

Nottingham dry Yeast.

Before the start...14.5 lbs of grain

IMG_2308.jpg

Grains in the mash.