What type of thermometor should I use.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I have one of those dial thermometors from midwest supplies with the metal stem on the end. In all of the partial mash guides I looked at everyone had a thermometor they put right into the boil.

Do those thermometors show better results??

I'm only curious because I am doing a partial mash tomorrow. I want the temp reading to be dead on.

After monkeying around with all matter of cooking, digital, candy, dial and what have you, I went back to the el cheapo 12" scientific thermometers on the lowershelf of the homebrew shops for less than 5 bucks.

spirit_thermometer_packet.jpeg

I have 2 or 3 now.

The best part is that they have an little eye at the top that a coat hange hook can fit in, and can hang from the top of the kettle.

Thanks revvy. I'll pick one up. Do you think the older thermometers work better??

I just want to get the type of thermometer that is going to give me the most accurate reading. Sometimes I feel like the thermometor I have isn't very accurate.

Thanks revvy. I'll pick one up. Do you think the older thermometers work better??

I just want to get the type of thermometer that is going to give me the most accurate reading. Sometimes I feel like the thermometor I have isn't very accurate.

I think it's just a matter of the kiss principle. I've never had one break (so far) or fail, and it's accurate and doesn't need (and can't be calibrated) plus it is long enough to reach easily into my kettle or mash tun. And steam doesn't short out any electrical stuff. All issues I've dealt with in all other thermometers.

My lab thermometer is off by about 4F according to my other thermometers. Hmmmm. I should buy a couple more and recalibrate all the thermos.

Good point come to think of it. Don't buy just one lab thermo, buy two!

I have 2 of those dial thermometers with the metal shaft, they are off from each other by 10 degrees. Compared with a candy thermometer and one is 5 degrees high, the other 5 low. I bought one of the lab thermometers Revy post a pic of and I think its much more accurate. Of course i broke it the the first time i used it, they are so thin be careful!! I went ahead and bought 2 more :)

yea time to buy myself a new thermometer. I'm gonna go with a lab one. Basic glass and mercury lol.

ok it wont break on me?? I'm doing a partial mash for the first time and would be really upset if it breaks lol.

I also have a lab thermometer (the $5 one) and it seems to be the standard out of all of my thermometers. Dont boil it, but for the 150 to 160 range or whatever you exactly need, it should be really good.

I tie a thin wire to mine and dangle it from an upper cabinet knob down into the kettle to get the steeping temp I need.

I'd really wanted to get one to clip to the kettle, but I wanted accurate more than easy, so there ya go.

I don't think they are mercury anymore...I believe it is colored alcohol these days.

Correct. They aren't mercury. And i agree with Revvy, KISS, my dial thermometers need constant recalibration, but the trusty 'ol lab thermo works all the time.

I suggest you check your thermometer temps in ice water and boiling water to see if it is consistent across it's range.

I have 6 thermometers and all of them were within 1 degree on the freeze calibration. Three of them (2 dial thermometers and the candy thermo) passed the boil calibration. Two lab thermos and the floating milk all read 5-14 degrees above boiling temps. Sad thing is I had been using the milk thermo for my mash checks, no wonder my FG has been lower than anticipated each and every brew....

I have 6 thermometers and all of them were within 1 degree on the freeze calibration. Three of them (2 dial thermometers and the candy thermo) passed the boil calibration. Two lab thermos and the floating milk all read 5-14 degrees above boiling temps. Sad thing is I had been using the milk thermo for my mash checks, no wonder my FG has been lower than anticipated each and every brew....

Yeah, i don't remember how badly my lab thermo failed the boil test when I stopped using it, but it was very significant.

Just because they are simple and traditional does NOT mean they are accurate.

Yeah, i don't remember how badly my lab thermo failed the boil test when I stopped using it, but it was very significant.

Just because they are simple and traditional does NOT mean they are accurate.

Totally agree, but tons of people on here assume that b/c it's expensive and digital it's accurate. :mug:

How do I test my thermometer?? boil the water vidorously then match it with the temperature associated with boiling water??

I bought two lab thermometers last weekend. One read bang on 32 in icewater, one read 34. The first one read 216 in boiling water, the other read 220.

And I am obviously more clumsy than most, as I have managed to break two of them to date.

lab therm read 220 in boiling water...blah, now i use a 15 dollar digital by taylor, it passed the boil and ice water test. lab thermometer is just back up anymore.

Back