Help Cloning Anderson Valley Brewing - High Roller Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSomps6

Reaction score
I told a buddy I would brew him a batch of beer for his tailgate party in October. He sampled a bunch of beers and decided he wants a beer like High Roller Wheat. I've never tried this beer, but can get it locally. I've never formulated my own recipe and wonder if anybody has brewed this or could give me some help getting started.

http://www.avbc.com/beers/high-rollers-wheat-beer/

From the website - 40% wheat malt and 60% pale malt. Any specific type of wheat?

Low alpha hops... like I said, I've never tried so not sure which ones.

Thanks Guys!

- Jeremy

Pale wheat malt most likely. For 5 IBUs you can use whatever low AA% hop you want, added near the start of the boil. Ferment with either 1056/001, or you can give American Wheat a try (something like Kolsch yeast would work nicely as well). Aim for an OG ~1.050. It is a clear wheat beer, so don't forget the Irish Moss or Whirlfloc. Good luck.

Thanks Oldsock! I was actually reading on your website yesterday about doing sour beers. I see my first berlinerweisse in my future!

How does this look... I have cascade, centennial, golding, and fuggle in the freezer... figured fuggle would be the best match? I am doing a 1.068 stout with 001 right now and would just wash the yeast for this batch. Would 152* be a good mash temp? This is for a bunch of BMC drinkers so the sweetness might be good? 5 IBUs seems really low doesn't it?.... 1/2 an ounce for an 11 gallon batch?

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 11.00 Wort Size (Gal): 11.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 22.50
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.02
Anticipated SRM: 3.8
Anticipated IBU: 5.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
60.0 13.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
40.0 9.00 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Fuggle Whole 5.00 5.0 60 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 22.50
Water Qts: 28.13 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 7.03 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.25 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 168 Time: 10

Looks good to me. I know what you mean, I helped out brewing a Kvass at East End in Pittsburgh that had only ~7 oz of hops in 11.5 bbls (it had twice as much caraway). We just brewed a version of it over the weekend that had 3 g of Willamette in 5 gallons.

That stout is pushing the upper limits of what I would repitch. The yeast should be alright, but it won’t be in top form after fermenting a bigger beer, so make sure to give it a bit of yeast nutrient and plenty of aeration.

Let me know how it turns out. Good luck getting into sours.

I do have 2 jars of washed 001 from about 3 months ago... am I better off making a starter of those? Maybe I'll just buy a vile and add both jars in a big starter... Afterall, he is paying for the stuff and not me! :)

I'd just buy new yeast, how about 2 packs of US-05? Cheap, clean, no starter required.

True - but I've found you get much better beer with liquid yeast.

Maybe 2 new vials in a 1 gallon starter and be done with it. Will leave lots of yeast for future batches!

True - but I've found you get much better beer with liquid yeast.

Maybe 2 new vials in a 1 gallon starter and be done with it. Will leave lots of yeast for future batches!

I've had good luck with US-05, but I agree liquid does tend to make better beers. A big fresh starter is probably the right way to go, especially for a delicate beer like this.

Like I said, I've never tried this beer, but did some research and a lot of people are saying they get citrus from the beer. Maybe I should be using cascade or centennial for the hops? Maybe I'll have some creative freedom and I'll throw a few orange peels in the boil... I'm sure it will work with the style...

Back