Possible infection? Need some help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guerillaboy

Reaction score
Alright so I am about to start bottling from my secondary (as soon as the bottles are done sanitizing). Anyway I have the secondary Covered up in a towel to keep it dark. I pulled the towel off and looked closely theres some thin brown lines (looks like it could be left over "head" from the switch from the primary to secondary. Its a Stout)

Anyway how do I tell if its infected, pre-bottling. I would hate to bottle all 60 then try one in a few weeks and have it be terrible. What are the tell tale signs, any smells, anything? Also this is my first batch, so I am sure I am just being overly nervous.

Alright so I am about to start bottling from my secondary (as soon as the bottles are done sanitizing). Anyway I have the secondary Covered up in a towel to keep it dark. I pulled the towel off and looked closely theres some thin brown lines (looks like it could be left over "head" from the switch from the primary to secondary. Its a Stout)

Anyway how do I tell if its infected, pre-bottling. I would hate to bottle all 60 then try one in a few weeks and have it be terrible. What are the tell tale signs, any smells, anything? Also this is my first batch, so I am sure I am just being overly nervous.

my guess is you're correct that you're being overly nervous.

go ahead and bottle!

yes the saying that many try to preach is "Relax, don't worry. Have a homebrew". In my limited experience it's the stuff I worry about that doesn't turn out to be a problem and it's the unforseen things that do become a problem. Even then, I haven't had any HUGE problems

I would hate to bottle all 60 then try one in a few weeks and have it be terrible.

Wouldnt you hate it even more to dump 60 that could have been great? I'm sure its fine, bottle it, and the worse possible case is that in a few weeks you find out its bad. But it could also be awesome.

what type of stout is it? anything fancy about it like chocolate or coffee or anything? I have had all sorts of strangle looking stouts, but never a bad one. In fact every stout I have made looked a little strange at first. Roasted barley debris can accumulate on the sides if you got some in the wort, plus coffee and chocolate can make all kinds of weird looking films, oils, lines, etc. I can't say for certain because I'm not looking at it, but i'd lay odds that it's fine. bottle it. or if you are still really worried, post a good pic and we'll get back at ya

Alright guys. I went ahead and bottled. During the process decided to pour a little into a cup and tried it. And well.....it was delecious. Little flat but good. Tasted pretty much like guinness. Thanks for all the good words of encouragement =)

Back