Welcome to the spackle club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gauthierk

Reaction score
I have had my official blow out last night and feel like I'm now in the club. To see the face on my fiance was priceless... Question, my beer was without airlock for about 3 hours before I woke up this morning. There was a very steady flow of foam out of the top of the car boy. The evidence is covering the majority of my kitchen floor. :drunk: Is this batch running the risk of being infected or do you think it will be good????

:tank:

Install a blowoff tube, and let it run it's course. Crack open a beer and clean up the mess before your wife sees it if that applies. Lesson learned. If it's bad, then dump it, if it ain't, drink it.
Actually, since it was pushing out it would keep most nasties out, as they are not salmon-related and don't swim upstream. Relax, welcome to the club, and let us know how it turns out.

your next mission regardless of whether you choose to or not is to construct a blow off tube

panty_dropper1.jpg

one regular carboy bung drilled out
two 1/2"ID hard els
one 5" length and one 21" length of 1/2"ID PVC

friction fit to allow breakdown and ease of cleaning with my bottle brush.

the 1/2"id pvc fits nice and snug into the bung. i drilled them out a bit to facilitate the flow of any blowoff or gas

brewhead said:
one regular carboy bung drilled out
two 1/2"ID hard els
one 5" length and one 21" length of 1/2"ID PVC

friction fit to allow breakdown and ease of cleaning with my bottle brush.

the 1/2"id pvc fits nice and snug into the bung. i drilled them out a bit to facilitate the flow of any blowoff or gas

Cool, thanks. I figured you'd need to, as that's a pretty small hole. It would kinda defeat the purposeof such big blowoff tubing!

I refitted the bung on and used some hose that I sanitized for racking and put it into my beaker that I normally make my starters with full of bleach. Now I just gotta clean up the mess. I kinda had a feeling it was gonna happen. When I made my starter, it over flowed and was very aggressive. IT seems tha the yeast I have are hopped up on juice.. hehehe

Thanks for the pictures and ideas. This forum has been excellent for quick fixes and help:rockin:

I had an overnight blowout on a batch once that ended up being one of the tastier IPA's I'd ever done...kind of makes you think those belgian guys aren't so crazy...

BREW ON:mug:

Ize, you are correct. friction fit is all you need. i had one of those big tubes but my closet in the kitchen that i keep the carboys in is cramped. so i went up to the brew shed and came up with these. in fact i actually think these are cheaper than that vinyl tubing. prob less than 5 bucks. now four carboys will fit in the closet under the bottom shelf and two will fit between the wall and the fridge. i'm also thinking about going down to our fab shop and making me a couple of galvanized pans that would catch any blow over so it wouldn't become a sticky mess all over the floor. kind of like the condensate pan under your air handler or the pan under your electric water heater

He..he...he... Looks like what happened to me last night!
2630-Photo_061206_001.jpg

2630-Photo_061206_002.jpg

2630-Photo_061206_003.jpg

It's still bubbling away at about 1 bps through the tubing. At least it's stopped pushing foam.

Latest posts

Back