Can anyone answer this for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preliator

Reaction score
I am setting out to make a 5 gallon batch of mead (traditional) tonight and had a question regarding the yeast nutrient.
I decided to make my mead using

12 pounds Maine Raspberry honey
white labs yeast "WLP720" sweet mead yeast
topped off with water to 5 gallons.

the question i have is this, I have worked with dry yeast before but never this liquid stuff. the guy at the LHBS told me to just introduce it to the mead as is. but the last time i made a cyser i needed to add the nutrient. he also said it is a complete starter and there shoudl be no worries.....
any input on this would be most helpful as i said i plan to pitch this sometime this evening. hoping that once fermentation is completed i can break it down to 5 one gallon batches and ad some different flavors, fruits, herbs etc........
thanks for reading this
anthony
ad to edit: corrected a mixup with words

I would use nutrient. It never hurts to have a strong growth phase and honey is a nutritional wasteland. You have both white labs and wyeast listed, these are two different companies.

thanks david,,,, sorry aout that ill fix it. what i was trying to type was white labs yeast "WLP 720"
I do agree and figured that but wasnt sure after lhbs guy said not needed.
thanks for the help and for pointing that out
anthony

I would be sure to use the nutrient. As David pointed out, honey is pretty lean on nutrients, you should do everything you can to help it along.

- magno

I'll agree. Yeast needs some nutrients that honey lacks. I always use them.

steve

well so far so good,
I made the up the must and when i tell ya this had to be the sweetest honey I have ever tasted......such a nice flavor.
I did add (according to directions on bottle) the proper amount of yest nutrients as well, i figured why not...honey has had its discredits with fermenting and all the advice seemed to point in that direction.
instead of directly pitching the yeast, i took approx 1/2 gallon of must and made a starter. then approx 1 qt. of must and mixed the nutrients. after both were well settled in i then transfered them to the primary. then i added the rest of the must to the top side of the starter..... hit it with 3 1/2 minutes of pure/medical O2 at 5 ltrs. per minute and set the stopper and the air lock.
already seeing small changes in the pressure of the lock and even one nice burp, i think this will be okay....
thanks for the help and the advice
anthony

Latest posts

Back