Apricot pits, still viable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superdave

Reaction score
I've got a bunch of apricot pits from beer I made, they soaked in the fermenting beer (along with the rest of the apricots) for a little over a week, after having been frozen.

Any chance they are still viable? Maybe I can grow my own apricot tree so I can make more beer in the future.

I don't know if they would be at this point, but you might as well plant them in small pots and see if they start to grow. Then, you can transplant them if they take off. If not, buy some herbs and reuse the planters.

Check for information about the variety. If it's a hybrid, the pit could be sterile. If not, it will not likely yield fruit like you used for your brew. That doesn't mean it will be bad, but it could be...you'd end up putting a lot of work growing the tree, then find out it's disease prone, or the fruit is lousy, or something. Generally, it's better to buy a tree of known stock so you know what you're going to get.

That said, the most fantastic peaches I ever ate came were on my grandfather's farm from a tree that grew up from a discarded peach pit. The flesh was a pale green (weird, right?) and as sweet and flavorful as can be imagined.

Latest posts

Back