Orange Blossom Honey suggestions??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndGenBrewer

Reaction score
So, I got a US gallon tub of orange blossom honey for the holidays and want to make either 4 gallons of melomel or metheglyn. This is the first time I've used this varietal honey and I'm not familiar with its' aspects.

Any suggestions on fruits or herbs to try? ( I've already done strawberry, apple cyser, elderberry, heather, and elder flower)

What would compliment the honey the best? I've thought about tangerines but heard of PH issue. If I went this route how much calcium chloride would I need per gallon?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :mug:

Try some as a traditional. OB makes a very nice traditional, I especially like it with K1V.

If you need to adjust pH, you need calcium carbonate (not chloride) or better yet potassium bicarbonate. Tangerines actually don't cause much pH problem - they usually will be in the range of 3.5 to 3.8, but if you use them use the juice (probably 1/2 to 1 gallon in a 5-gallon batch is plenty), not the whole fruit or you'll get a lot of bitterness and phenolic character. Add the zest to get more aroma in secondary, but go easy with it.

I agree with Medsen...

I'd start off just with a show mead.

You could then rack some to smaller batches onto fruit and keep some as a straight mead.

Another vote for a traditional mead. OB is tops on my list of honeys to try next, makes a wonderful traditional mead by itself.

Thanks for the replies! I think I will do half as traditional and the other half with tangerine juice. I let ya'll know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back