Calculating OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthrobe

Reaction score
I recently recieved this recipe from my LHBS. The only problem that I have with it is that it does not specify what the OG should be. I looked up the recipe calculator on a websight that was posted on here a while ago but I was a little confused entering grains and such. Grains such as the UK Crystal Malt and Pale Malt Extract were not listed. I took a couple of guesses and it calculated a OG somewhere between 1.040 and 1.050. I am also a little confused about the efficiency. Any help could be appreciated.

.63lb. Chocolate Malt
.75 Lb UK Dark Crystal Malt
.50lb Flaked Barely
6.6 lb. Pale Malt Extract
.33oz Galena 60 min
1 oz Cascade 30min
1 oz Tettnang 10min
1 vannila bean - secondary
Wyeast 1098 British Ale

OG - ?
FG 1.014 - 1.010

anthrobe said:
I recently recieved this recipe from my LHBS. The only problem that I have with it is that it does not specify what the OG should be. I looked up the recipe calculator on a websight that was posted on here a while ago but I was a little confused entering grains and such. Grains such as the UK Crystal Malt and Pale Malt Extract were not listed. I took a couple of guesses and it calculated a OG somewhere between 1.040 and 1.050. I am also a little confused about the efficiency. Any help could be appreciated.

.63lb. Chocolate Malt
.75 Lb UK Dark Crystal Malt
.50lb Flaked Barely
6.6 lb. Pale Malt Extract
.33oz Galena 60 min
1 oz Cascade 30min
1 oz Tettnang 10min
1 vannila bean - secondary
Wyeast 1098 British Ale

OG - ?
FG 1.014 - 1.010

I used my brew calculator and figure your OG should be 1.058