Help me pick my second brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
I'm due to bottle my first brew some time next week (AHS seasonal) and want to start thinking about the next one but I'm not sure what to go for so looking for some suggestions. I'm thinking about a 2.5 gallon batch next time because if I get a temperature controller for the spare fridge I should be able to brew at a more consistant temperature. Points to consider (in order of priority) are:

1) It's only my second brew so want something not too complicated (ie I want an extract brew)

2) It needs to be dry ingredients (DMA and yeast) as it will be being shipped internationally (customs problems and time getting warm while waiting to be cleared) or carried in my hand luggage.

3) Ideally the weight of the ingredients shouldn't be too much (see point 2)

4) Ambient temperature is around 85F so if there is a beer (saison) I only need to keep cold for a day or two before letting it sit at 85, all the better (in case I don't get the temperature controller). Running AC 24/7 is not a sustainable option fior future brews, particualrly if the first brew isn't fantastic!

5) Style is not an issue for taste as I like most beers. Less of a fan of lagers but that's probably a good thing for homebrew as it means less kit worries!

6) Cost is a slight issue as the international shipping charges are not cheap and add to the overall cost if I need to ship it here rather that picking up from a HBS when I'm passing one on a work trip.

There may be more but I can't think of them at the moment (I will edit the list if needed).

Thanks in advance

Wow, 85F. You are pretty much limited to some farmhouse belgians and... Well I'm not coming up with much. I like your idea of fridge control w/ a 2.5 batch. Then you could brew anything. I'm thinking it would take a lot of ice to get a batch down to the 65 F pitching temps, but again the 2.5 gallon batch would make it easier.

I always like a American pale ale, or some like India pale ales. Could easily do those with dry ingredients and dry yeast. Brittish bitters or ESB's along the same line. Wheats are very easy to do with dry also.

Yeah, ambient temp is a pain. Had the bedroom AC on low 24/7 since pitching the yeast and it's starting to make some strange sounds (AC not the yeast!). And that doesn't even start to address the really cold bedromm and predicted high electricity bill next month!

Had planned on putting together a son of a fermentation chiller but for some reason nowhere here sells insulation boards! Looks like its short initial cool fermentation (I can justify running the AC 24/7 for a couple of days) followed by letting it rise to 85 or getting a temperature controller. I was leaning towards a farmhouse belgians if I could do the former with dry ingredients and then justify a temperature controller (and new fridge/chest freezer?) in the new year for batch 3. The I listened to an old podcast and it sounded like doing saisons with dry yeast wasn't an option.

Back