Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually over document, but in this case I wish I'd have taken better notes, lol. I'm not sure how much sugar I back sweetened with. I'm pretty sure I used the recommended 6 cups, but I made invert sugar with that amount and used it to sweeten.

Cold and on ice definitely helps. I actually don't really mind the winey flavor, but my wife doesn't like it. She'd like something cleaner, more like a traditional lemonade.

For kicks, I also force carbed 2l worth. That dried out the flavor a bit and made it more champagne-like. I think adding more sugar would help with that.

Overall, I like the stuff. It's my first batch of SP. The one thing I'd like to do, for benefit of SWMBO, is reduce the wine :)

What yeast did you use?

What about just lowering the OG by adding less sugar in the beginning and getting a 7-8%? Would that help reduce the wine flavor?

I pitched a starter with EC1118. Starter and full volume were fermented right around 68-70F (ambient in my basement). I do have the ability to control temps, but didn't for this.

i got that from a batch i did with the red star montrachet. The batch i have going now is with ec 1118- ill let u know if i get the same wine taste

I used slurry from whitegrape/raspberry (premier cuvee) and it taste GREAT even without backsweets

...OR you could just get Frozen concentrate lemonade and make using SP in place of water.

I've made several batches and it's always a huge hit! I also make a milder strawberry version with 10 cups of inverted sugar, 6 lbs frozen strawberries and 48 oz of lemon juice. I also use bentonite and sparkloid in it. Every batch has gone from start to kegged, cleared and carbonated in less than 4 weeks. I do use a brew belt on the bucket, my skeeter pee ferments quicker with the extra heat from the belt. It comes in right around 5.5 ABV with a light pink color to it. I'm making a new batch right now with 12 lbs of frozen strawberries in it. SWMBO requested the tweaked recipe.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I don't have enough experience with wine making to know what gives wine it's characteristic flavor.

Do wines taste "winey" because of the strains of yeast used? Can you make a wine winey-er by altering ferm temp, or tannin content, or the phase of the moon, or color underwear worn when producing them, lol?

I don't have enough experience with wine making to know what gives wine it's characteristic flavor.

Do wines taste "winey" because of the strains of yeast used? Can you make a wine winey-er by altering ferm temp, or tannin content, or the phase of the moon, or color underwear worn when producing them, lol?

Well, if you were to wear a pink thong, you may tend to be a bit more winey than usual! :D

I know I would, but it may have no effect on the SP. :mug:

Has anybody tried using torani flavored syrups to flavor skeeter pee just wanting some feedback using this stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well I tryed them and they wrk great. Recomend the green apple and peach my favorite so far.

Well I tryed them and they wrk great. Recomend the green apple and peach my favorite so far.

Did you use additional sugar to back sweeten or were you able to completely flavor and sweeten in one shot? Great concept, and plenty of flavors to choose from!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Has anybody tried using torani flavored syrups to flavor skeeter pee just wanting some feedback using this stuff

Was at Sam's tonight, checking out the flavors - the cherry limeade syrup sounds like it should be good. Anyone tried it?

No just added it already sweetened skeeter pee in a glass next I'll make gallon batches with them.

Was at Sam's tonight, checking out the flavors - the cherry limeade syrup sounds like it should be good. Anyone tried it?

Yes I tryed the cherry line one it is good as well. But the green apple and peach are the best tasting so far for me. I tryed green apple peach raspberry cherrylime and watermelon

Yes I tryed the cherry line one it is good as well. But the green apple and peach are the best tasting so far for me. I tryed green apple peach raspberry cherrylime and watermelon

Thanks! 'bout how much do you add?

Friend of mine sweetened some pee with Crystal Lite Appletini, and it was good. He'd also flavored some with Crystal Lite mojito that was good too. Little bit of artificial sweetener taste, but not bad.

I would just add a little at a time and taste as you go along don't wanna add too much the stuff is pretty sweet

Totally takes the edge off the skeeter pee and mask the strong winey taste can be real dangerous this way cause just tasting the good sweet flavor

Racked and backsweetened with 6 cups of inverted sugar as recommended. Wanted to try the original recipe before so try flavored versions. Blackberry sounds amazing.

1396674709750.jpg

1396674722383.jpg

Can I use lemon juice from concentrate? That's all I can find

You can't find ReaLemon in the grocery store? That seems strange. It might not be with the juices, maybe on the shelf around the baking section or where you might find canned grape and tomato juice.

Basically, anything that's lemon juice without preservatives is good. Sodium benzoate, metabisulfite and bisulfite are in mine and are okay, I think.

So I recently kegged a batch of skeeter pee and I realized after pouring a few glasses that the sulfur smell is just too much. I bought a couple of feet of thick uninsulated copper wire, sanded it down, and stirred the pee for about 7 or 8 minutes. It made a huge difference, but there was still a slight smell so I left the copper in and sealed it up.

I'm starting to worry about this though. Will there be too much copper in the pee? Isn't this dangerous? Should I take the copper wire out (I only did this about 30 minutes ago)?

well everything I looked for has "from concentrate" on it.....even this stuff. So all of you are putting in concentrate as well. My only mistake was, that I put in all 6 tsp. of yeast nutrient. Should I put in another 3 later per recipe after 48 hours?

realemon-100-lemon-juice-48-oz-bottle.jpg

Racked and backsweetened with 6 cups of inverted sugar as recommended. Wanted to try the original recipe before so try flavored versions. Blackberry sounds amazing.

You will NOT be disappointed. The recipe, as written, when followed with a minimum of deviation makes an amazing product. Yours looks right for sure. If you find yours too sweet throw a slice of lemon in your glass and go to town :mug:.

So I recently kegged a batch of skeeter pee and I realized after pouring a few glasses that the sulfur smell is just too much. I bought a couple of feet of thick uninsulated copper wire, sanded it down, and stirred the pee for about 7 or 8 minutes. It made a huge difference, but there was still a slight smell so I left the copper in and sealed it up.

I'm starting to worry about this though. Will there be too much copper in the pee? Isn't this dangerous? Should I take the copper wire out (I only did this about 30 minutes ago)?

I'd take the copper out. I wouldnt swear that its being there is harmful, but I also dont think it is necessary... so why risk it?

well everything I looked for has "from concentrate" on it.....even this stuff. So all of you are putting in concentrate as well. My only mistake was, that I put in all 6 tsp. of yeast nutrient. Should I put in another 3 later per recipe after 48 hours?

Yeah that is the correct stuff. And I wouldn't add anymore nutrient you are prob fine the way it is

I'd take the copper out. I wouldnt swear that its being there is harmful, but I also dont think it is necessary... so why risk it?
Originally Posted by drpie34 View Post

Leave copper in the pee? I haven't heard of this. What is it suppose to do? I understand the need to stir the pee and if copper is what you got to stir with then yeah it should be ok. I had to use a copper coat hanger myself and my wort chiller is copper for my beer, but it is true that if the copper content in any drinking liquid is too high it can cause some serious damage over time. If you start getting a ringing in the ears and headaches then you might want to stop drinking it.

Sulfur smell was too much? This doesn't sound normal. Did you use tap water? The reason I ask is because I ran into this issue with my water heater recently. You may need to drain/flush it. If you didn't put too many sulfites in yourself, then you may want to consider getting one of those water testers at home depot.

But definitely get the copper out. Let us know how it goes.

I've never had a problem with sulphur taste/smell in finished skeeter pee. I stir with a big spoon when I first make wort, when dump in starter, add nutrients or add sulphites. Giving it time to clarify should help, never heard of putting copper in it.

May stink during process, but have faith, it'll taste good when it's done

SP is bubblying away 8 hours after I pitched the yeast. Recipe says to check the gravity periodically. Every 24hours? Approximately, how long will it take to get to 1.050?

SP is bubblying away 8 hours after I pitched the yeast. Recipe says to check the gravity periodically. Every 24hours? Approximately, how long will it take to get to 1.050?

Depending on the yeast, temps and how much you aerate/degas it can take from 3-7 days. For a few situations it may be sooner.

It is dead! Ruined! Forever to not be saved!!! The stuff is super toxic and takes an experienced licenses professional to dispose of this waste. After fermentation stops completely just send the whole batch to me and I will take care of it at no cost for your trouble... :D

Lol it is fine most likely. The SP instructions are made to overkill how well you take care of the yeast to make sure they do not stall. Just degas now and more twice daily if above the 1/3rd sugar break. It will be fine.

took first reading and it is 1.024, so I put in the remaining nutrient and bottle of lemon juice, then I gave it a swirl. I seem to be going back and forth with the recipe. Should have done things first, but they did get done. I guess this weekend I can rack to my carboy and wait for it to get to .0998-.0995. All sound good?

took first reading and it is 1.024, so I put in the remaining nutrient and bottle of lemon juice, then I gave it a swirl. I seem to be going back and forth with the recipe. Should have done things first, but they did get done. I guess this weekend I can rack to my carboy and wait for it to get to .0998-.0995. All sound good?

I would just let it finish in whatever you have it in then put in a Carboy after just to clear and get off the trub.

I did a reading on mine tonight, 1.010, almost there! Just straight lemon and no other flavors for the first attempt. It smells so good! Gonna be somewhere from 10-12%. I think for my next batch I'll cut the sugar in half to get about 5-6%. Should be awesome for those hot days coming up when working outside without getting blitzed!

I was thinking about making this recipe but my question is. Are the kmeta and sorbate absolutely necessary or could you make this without it?
Thanks for any replies

Back