Help with Vienna RyePA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
Having loved the smell/taste (of unfermented wort) of my Vienna/amarillo smash from earlier in the week I want to do a RyePA with vienna making up most of the base malt. I will mash a little lower, probably 150 this time to dry it out more.

Here is the grain bill for 5.5 gallons:

10lbs Vienna
1lb Rye
.5lb Cara-pils

Having been getting efficiency in the 90%'s I expect the OG to be in the mid to high .060's. I want this to be a pretty hoppy but well balanced beer. I just ordered the deal from Farmhouse Brewing with 8oz each of Cascade, Centennial, and Columbus.

Here is a preliminary sketch of what I was thinking of the hop schedule:

.5oz columbus FWH
1oz columbus @ 60 min
.5oz centennial @ 40 min
1.5oz centennial @ 20min
1oz centennial @ 5 min

dry hop with 1 oz each of centennial and cascade

I will be using WLP001

I am interested to hear your suggestions!

Rye gets pretty sticky, maybe throw in some rice hulls? Other than that it looks like a solid recipe.

That looks like a pretty tasty recipe. Depending upon how much of a rye character you want, you could double or even triple the amount you're using. I've only made one IPA with rye, and with 22.5% it had a definite though not overpowering rye character. It was just right for me, but everyone's different. I'm tempted to say with a base malt as flavorful as Vienna, you may be able to get away with more rye than you would if you had a lighter base, but maybe that's not true. I can't say I know for sure.

I wouldn't worry too much about rice hulls unless you get over 25% rye. It won't hurt anything, and it is a cheap insurance policy, so to speak, but the general consensus seems to be at 20% and under, you're fine.

I did a Vienna-based Rye Pale a few months back, turned out really good. My recipe was:

American Rye Beer

Estimated Efficiency: 70%
Estimated OG: 1.050
Estimated FG: 1.012
Estimated IBU: 30
Estimated SRM: 8

7.0 lbs Vienna
2.0 lbs Rye Malt
1.0 lbs Flaked Rye
1.0 lbs Flaked Corn (keepin’ it real)

.50 oz Cascade @ 60
.50 oz Cascade @ 30
.50 oz Mt. Hood @ 30
.50 oz Mt. Hood @ 15

Fermentis Safale US-05 Yeast

I plan to brew this again, but next time around I will sub out the corn for another pound of flaked rye and change up the hopping schedule a bit. Probably bitter with Sterling and finish with Mt. Hood; aiming for around 30 ibus again.

Cheers!
Kevin

I think it looks good. I really like Rye so I would double up on the Rye myself but that is a personal taste issue. Rice hulls are a very good idea with Rye especially if you increase the percentage.

Good luck!

Looks awesome! I find the bitterness of Columbus to be on the harsh side so l'd probably bitter with warrior. I do love Columbus flavor and aroma so I'd definitely keep it in the dry hop.

looks like a great recipe. I've never found a need for rice hulls up to 30% rye, just mash a little thinner (1.75-2qt/lb), and you should be fine (depending on your system)

As others, at least double the rye. Condition your malt and you won't need rice hulls.

Nice, will look forward to this one. Will prob add another 1lb of rye as per suggesstions.

This is gonna be my first time fermenting with WLP001 instead of S-05 so I look forward to the results.

yup, i would add a pound of flaked rye. and remove the 40minute addition.

Adding another pound of rye would probably bring my OG up near the 1.070 range. I will need to increase the IBU's, I want to keep it around 70-80 IBU's. I have 8oz of each hop so that is no problem.

Here are the AA% according to Farmhouse Brewing where I ordered the hops from:
Centennial - 6%AA
Cascade - 5%AA
Columbus - 12.4%AA

Also, I am unsure as to if I want to dry-hop in the keg or in primary. I want to be able to drink this beer by september 8th, I will be brewing this week so I don't think that is reasonable, about 4 weeks seems OK to drink an IPA fresh.

The only concern that I've heard about dry hopping in primary is waiting for the fermentation to slow considerably or stop, If CO2 is still being produced it'll scrub the aroma you're looking for away.

Heating my strike water now. This is what I came up with using BrewTarget:

10# Vienna
2# Malted Rye
.5# Cara-Pils

OG: 1.073 @ 90% efficiency

So for a beer that will be about 7.1% ABV I hopped it to 73 IBUS with the following:

.75oz Centennial (6%) @ FWH
.25oz Columbus (14.6%) @ FWH
1oz Columbus @ 60min
1.5oz Centennial @ 20 min
1.5oz Centennial @ 5 min
.5oz Centennial @ 0min

Dry hop with 1oz Centennial, 1oz Cascade, and .5oz Columbus

Any last comments? I have probably 1 1/2 hours till the beginning of the boil.

i still think it might be alittle to bitter but it does sound good. post a review in a few weeks

Rye gets pretty sticky, maybe throw in some rice hulls? Other than that it looks like a solid recipe.

not needed for a grain bill with <10% rye, IMO. I had no issue with a grain bill of close to 20% rye and 5% wheat, although it was a slower sparge it still flowed just fine. If I did that beer again I might throw in half a pound of rice hulls for a 13+ gallon (over 35# grain bill) batch but I wouldn't worry for this recipe.

BTW, be sure you update us how it comes out. I tend to agree with the poster who said the Rye may be too subtle to notice at that low a %-age and with such a strongly flavored malt as Vienna.

Hey sorry for the delay in response.

The sad news is this beer was my first infected batch in 4+ years of homebrewing. Thinking back on brewing it there were a couple things:

- storing my starter in the refrigerator for a few days and not sanitizing the outside before pitching
-accidentally opening up for a hydrometer sample in front of a window fan

The wort post-boil tasted awesome though. Might try brewing this one again. I really like vienna as a base malt. My vienna/amarillo smash was a huge hit and one of the best beers I have brewed.

Back