How long can you leave brew in the fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratm4484

Reaction score
My beer is done fermenting and I am going to transfer to a secondary, but I don't have time to do it right now because I'm leaving town. I won't be back until Wednesday. Is this to long to wait or does it not matter. Thanks

ratm4484 said:
My beer is done fermenting and I am going to transfer to a secondary, but I don't have time to do it right now because I'm leaving town. I won't be back until Wednesday. Is this to long to wait or does it not matter. Thanks

RDWHAHB.

Seriously, you will be absolutely fine. Some folks will warn you about autolysis (when the yeast cannibalize themselves and produce off-flavors in so doing), but that would literally take months. The secondary fermentation (in terms of homebrewing practice) is basically a clearing tank - a place where you can put your beer to clear up and bulk-age. It is entirely unnecessary (although a preferred practice providing your brewing techniques are sanitary), and your beer could sit in the primary fermenter for at least a month or two without any negative side effects. This time should be reduced if your beer is sitting on a lot of trub or something. You are talking about a few extra days, so don't worry.

:mug:

Anything less than a month AFTER the fermentation finishes is not a problem. I've never met a homebrewer who has had a problem with autolysis. I go straight from the fermenter to cornies & I have a barley wine that took three months to finish fermenting, so I know there is yeast in it. Three years later, it's just coming into its prime.

Back