Airlock popping off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emilybeth

Reaction score
So, I'm taking samples with my racking cane/carboy cap to do a hydrometer reading. Last few days when I do this, I cannot put the stupid airlock back on because it keeps popping off and falling on the floor.

I am pretty sure this is because there is more activity in the carboy b/c of the siphon/cane thing going on, but shouldn't that gas just escape through the airlock as bubbles?

In between these episodes, I have to go resanitize the stuff and also am worried that air will get into the carboy in between---

Also, the numbers still aren't the same for 2+ days yet, but that's OK.

I am trying to relax, and drinking the sample :) which is pretty darn good for not finished fermenting uncarbonated beer!

Yes, it's the one that came with the kit from the LHBS. It's worked up until 10 days or so into the process. (My first batch). Also, even with just the stopper part in, it comes out almost right away. I tried drying it off and everything.

Sounds like you may need to new stopper. Or maybe just use a blow-off tube.

I use these guys instead of the stoppers and cinch then down with a long zip-tie to keep them on when things go crazy....
clorangecarboycap-2T.jpg

I have had them pop out of a bottle or carboy when they are wet and even when I dry them they still do it. Sometimes it helps to push them in really good and then twist them about a quarter turn or so.

Back