Hamm / Falstaff keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flylock_jac

Reaction score
Checked search and didn't find any info.
I brew in very small batches and was wondering if anyone has ever re-used or converted one of the old 2 1/4 gallon aluminum kegs for use ?
Thanx in advance for any replies.

some people recommend against using aluminum because of its reactivity with acidic wort - supposedly can impart off flavors (bitterness). Also some have Alzheimer's fears as well - here's a good source of info on this: The Hop Vine :: View topic - Anyone brewing in aluminum pots? good or bad please let me

In short - you're prob okay but it's certainly not an ideal situation. You'd be better off finding an old used Stainless Steel pot or something to boil in.

Aluminum is fine, especially at the point of being kegged- major breweries bottle in aluminum bottles!

Here is a nice read- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/

The issue with reusing those old kegs are figuring out a way to 1) sanitize 2)carbonate and 3)dispense.

But if you have one, or can get one cheap enough, experiment. That is how most of the innovations of homebrewing occur-- someone like yourself getting an idea and trying it.

But do not let the aluminum aspect of it deter you from trying.

are you thinking about using this as a serving vessel or for boiling?

cyberbackpacker: major breweries bottle in aluminum bottles!

The cans are lined....the liquid never actually touches any aluminum.

are you thinking about using this as a serving vessel or for boiling?

Serving. A friend has one and I thought I might be able to put a valve stem in to carb with a hand held CO2. The tap in on the bottom so it would gravity feed ,but I could keep enough CO2 pressure to keep it from oxising. Only hold 2 1/4 gallons ,but would be great for the G.F. and I to take with us.

Latest posts

Back