temperature affect on priming sugar mixing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
I was bottling today and this question popped in my mind:

Does the temperature of the beer affect how well the priming sugar mixes with the beer while racking on top of the priming sugar? For example, maybe cold beer would move more slowly and thus not whirlpool well and not mix well (just an example, not saying this is really happening).

Anyway, wondering if anyone knows the answer.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if the temperature has any effect, but I do know many people have voiced problems with the "rack on top" method, claiming uneven carbing due to the priming sugar not being totally mixed in.

The solution to this is to very gently stir the beer a little after racking onto the priming sugar solution. And again, this is going to be one of those issues where you just have to choose a side. Some feel the possibility of oxidation is too great, even with a gentle stir, and believe that racking on top of the sugar solution is more than enough to mix it up (despite temperature). Others feel that a gentle stir doesn't introduce anywhere near the amount of oxygen to cause concern, and is better than ending up with uneven carbonation.

I've done it both ways, and here's what I've found:

When I didn't stir, the bottles carbed fine. When I did stir, there was no noticeable off flavors from oxidation. In my book, either way you go you'll probably be fine.

Personally, I usually give a gentle stir to be safe. But if I forget (which I do now and then) I don't fret over it. :mug:

Yah - I'm specifically wondering if there are physical changes related to temperature in regards to mixing. I already give a little stir after having a few uneven batches, so I'm not really worried about that anymore, just curious.

Latest posts

Back