Double IPA Lawson's Finest Sip of Sunshine Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this last night (partial mash recipe)....Went with the 1056 for the yeast, and I split the extract portion (3# extra light & 3# light DME). Because of my kettle size I couldn't follow the mashing instructions with regard to mash volume but was able to mash around 155 - 160 for 45 minutes with about 1 gallon.

OG: was difficult to get accurately because despite my best efforts there was still a ton of hops in suspension, but my average reading was in the area of 1.075ish

Color so far looks close to the 5 - 5.5 area which I was worried about achieving initially (will post a picture later today). I can't find an official SRM number anywhere on the real sip of sunshine so I'm going off of the OP listed SRM.

Super excited for this one...Now the patiently waiting portion begins.

IMG_20150119_111847201.jpg

IMG_20150119_111857238.jpg

IMG_20150119_111902776.jpg

Looking good! The color that this grain bill produces is nearly identical to SoS. Keep us posted on the tasting results.

So I'm in the secondary right now with the first dry hop addition....Second addition this weekend. My question because I've never dry hopped with pellet hops is; how am I gonna avoid all the hop sludge when racking into my keg? Should I rack to a bucket or tertiary - let it settle - then rack to keg?

Cold Crash if you can. That should help settle out the hops. I don't think racking to another vessle is going to net you much.

I usually dry hop with muslin bags or paint strainer bags to avoid hop debris.

pretty sure I should start doing that if I'm going to be dry hopping with pellet. Only ever did with whole leaf cascade from my garden which really limited me.

Don't really think there is much to worry about though. When you siphon just be conscious of what you are pulling through. All sludge should be settled by then.

yeah I'll prolly just go with my smaller diameter auto siphon and hover it over the sludge....tried to wrap my auto siphon with a grain bag to use it like a filter when going into the secondary ---- failed miserably

Plugged this into Beersmith today. At 70% efficiency and 5.5 gallons (vs recipe at 6 which seems like a lot to fit into a 6.5 carboy) came back at OG: 1.084, IBU: 130.8 and SRM: 7.2. which is nowhere near the numbers listed. Never seen/tasted SoS and wondering if you should decrease hops/darker grains to get it to match more closely?

Plugged this into Beersmith today. At 70% efficiency and 5.5 gallons (vs recipe at 6 which seems like a lot to fit into a 6.5 carboy) came back at OG: 1.084, IBU: 130.8 and SRM: 7.2. which is nowhere near the numbers listed. Never seen/tasted SoS and wondering if you should decrease hops/darker grains to get it to match more closely?

I'm not sure what to tell you here other than the recipe works and the numbers are what came out of BeerSmith as I plugged them in. If anything, this recipe is slightly less bitter than SoS and, to my eye, the color is VERY close. Also, the 6 gallon batch takes into account some losses due to trub/hop debris yielding a lesser amount to the fermenter. I actually drain most everything into the fermenter and the volume is never an issue.

I'm brewing this one up this weekend. Will post pics/stats/etc...

I have conan going strong right now on the first large 1.5L step up after 2 small steps (200ml, 400ml). Will refrigerate tonight and decant tomorrow for another 1-1.5L step up before pitching.

$69 at my local HBS. Yikes!

I wouldn't worry about the leak. With a nice healthy pitch, I'd bet you'll be fine. Keep us posted on the brew.

jjbanks,
don't worry about a little water in your system unless is undrinkable. if you can drink it you should be fine assuming you pitch enough yeast and it takes off quickly. I'm on a well and get cold h2o in my beer all the time and never have infections.
I finished my first batch of this as a partial mash and it was REALLY close to the original. the fastest keg i've ever drained! brewed again yesterday with a couple of tweaks and looking forward to keg #2.

I biab, and can only mash about 12 pounds of grain without overflow. If i just replaced about 5 pounds of the belgian pale malt with some DME---would that work out okay?

I biab, and can only mash about 12 pounds of grain without overflow. If i just replaced about 5 pounds of the belgian pale malt with some DME---would that work out okay?

If you are doing full volume biab, you could try using less water so you don't get overflow and do a dunk spare in a fermenter bucket. Unless you only have a very small pot

If you are doing full volume biab, you could try using less water so you don't get overflow and do a dunk spare in a fermenter bucket. Unless you only have a very small pot
I've considered this before, but I don't have any buckets or extra giant pots (just two carboys and my main 8 gallon BK). Maybe I should get one since they're so cheap, but on the other hand, I doubt three pounds of dme in this is going to make much of a difference in the taste.

Thanks for the advice though! I think I'm going to brew this tomorrow.

One of the only downsides to the Conan yeast is the low flocculation. I guess that is why they can everything :) Mine was cloudy out of the keg for the entire 10 days it lasted. cold crashing had no real effect. The attenuation is amazing though. A lot like Pacman.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Conan
Yeast Starter: Yes - See Notes
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.080
Final Gravity: 1.016
IBU: 84
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days - 64F up to 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days @ 68F
Tasting Notes: After a month in the keg, this is very tasty and very close to the original.

11 Lbs Belgian Pale Ale Malt
3 Lbs Vienna Malt
1 Lbs Oat Flakes
12 oz. Carapils
4 oz. Carared
4 oz. Caramunich (Type I)
1 Lbs Corn Sugar (added at 10mins)

Mash @ 152F for 60 mins

1.5 oz Columbus @ 60
1.0 oz Citra @ 20
3.0 oz Citra @ 5
3.0 oz Citra @ Whirlpool/Hopstand @ 180F for 30 mins

3.0 oz Citra @ Dry Hop (in two installments)

- Yeast starter from 1 vial of Conan containing ~30B cells. 250ml -> 1000ml -> decant -> 1000ml

- Cooled wort to 63F after boil and pitched decanted starter. Increase temp 1F per day up to 68F.
- After 10 days, lower temp to 60F for 24 hrs.
- Purge secondary vessel with CO2, rack onto half of dry hops, allow temp to rise to 68F.
- At day 14, add the rest of the dry hops.
- At day 18, rack to keg.
- Attempt to wait patiently for 2 weeks until sampling.

Water profile:
Ca - 142ppm
Mg - 26ppm
Na- 15ppm
SO4 - 305ppm
Cl - 80ppm

Would you still drop the temp to 60 degrees after fermentation for 24 hours if you are eventually bottling using priming sugar?

Would you still drop the temp to 60 degrees after fermentation for 24 hours if you are eventually bottling using priming sugar?

You could certainly skip this step if you'd like. However, there will still be plenty of yeast in suspension for bottle conditioning/carbing if you stick to the directions.

Update: Kegged and slow carbing at this point. Once I finish the keg of two roads honey spot i'm currently working on this will be officially tested. Hopefully I can get my hands on some at the store as well so I can do a side by side comparison.

Nailed the FG...I've never done that before lol! My OG was slightly off in the beginning but after doing some research, it may have been due to temperature difference and might have been on point in reality.

Color i'm not quite sure of but will be able to tell in side by side comparison.

Tasted young when i decanted what was left in the bottom of the car boy...and a little "too" hoppy but that was probably due to everything on the bottom. Very excited to try the end result in a few weeks!

in my experience conan yeast makes a cloudy beer......

I plan to brew this up today....I don't have carared..would it be better to just use 8 ounce caramunich or 4 and some light crystal or melanoiden

in my experience conan yeast makes a cloudy beer......

I plan to brew this up today....I don't have carared..would it be better to just use 8 ounce caramunich or 4 and some light crystal or melanoiden

The mix I used was mostly for color. I'll check my notes to see what L the carared and caramunich were.

Brewed it with 5 ounce caramunich all I had on hand and 3 ounce melanoiden so shouldn't affect it too much. Can't wait for it to be in the keg

Just got all ingredients, including Conan. I'm definitely a little confused at the OG though. An OG of 1.080ish and with the high attenuation of Conan is going to get you about 9.1% ABV, not 8%. Plugging into BeerSmith at 75% efficiency, I'm getting a 1.082 OG, which seems a bit high since we know Sip of Sunshine is 8%. I'm going to knock the grain bill down, trying not to greatly affect color, and adjust the bittering addition down to compensate, to get it to around 1.074 OG. But otherwise brewing it as is this weekend.

Question for the OP, where did this recipe come from? Just your shot at a clone or is it based on something? Someone else mentioned the BYO version of this recipe, but I've been a subscriber for years and can only find the DOUBLE Sunshine clone, not Sip of Sunshine. I'd love to know the BYO issue if I'm just missing it somewhere. Thanks for the recipe and I'll post back how it comes out. Headed to VT in 3 weeks so I should have some fresh cans to do a side by side.

Last edited:
Just got all ingredients, including Conan. I'm definitely a little confused at the OG though. An OG of 1.080ish and with the high attenuation of Conan is going to get you about 9.1% ABV, not 8%. Plugging into BeerSmith at 75% efficiency, I'm getting a 1.082 OG, which seems a bit high since we know Sip of Sunshine is 8%. I'm going to knock the grain bill down, trying not to greatly affect color, and adjust the bittering addition down to compensate, to get it to around 1.074 OG. But otherwise brewing it as is this weekend.

Question for the OP, where did this recipe come from? Just your shot at a clone or is it based on something? Someone else mentioned the BYO version of this recipe, but I've been a subscriber for years and can only find the DOUBLE Sunshine clone, not Sip of Sunshine. I'd love to know the BYO issue if I'm just missing it somewhere. Thanks for the recipe and I'll post back how it comes out. Headed to VT in 3 weeks so I should have some fresh cans to do a side by side.

This grain bill usually gets me to 1.075ish but the numbers reported were from an earlier batch which came out a little "hot". This recipe is based on the Double Sunshine Clone from BYO. After making that several times and trying both Double Sunshine and Sip of Sunshine, I began to tweak it slightly to come up with something I thought was closer to Sip of Sunshine. I think the brew comes out VERY close to SoS draft. The canned version, for whatever reason, is noticeably better IMO.

Thanks very much for sharing this recipe! I started this last night and it is bubbling away. Has anyone brewed this but kept the beer in the primary fermenter for the 20 days with no secondary? I tend to keep all my ales in the primary with no secondary but I don't want to mess this one up. Appreciate the help!

Thanks very much for sharing this recipe! I started this last night and it is bubbling away. Has anyone brewed this but kept the beer in the primary fermenter for the 20 days with no secondary? I tend to keep all my ales in the primary with no secondary but I don't want to mess this one up. Appreciate the help!

I kept mine in the primary throughout. I think it was 19 days before bottling. Seemed to taste great. I will sample in a week.

Hey guys, I contacted Lawson's about the yeast used and it is not Conan. Apparently it's straight up American ale yeast! Cheers!

Thanks for investigating that. Conan makes such a tasty IPA though! I can't stop using it!

I brewed this saturday with 2 row instead and 10# instead of 11#. Its bubbling away (with us05) as we speak quite nicely. Ended up with an OG = 1.084 but only 5.3 gallons or so with some trub included (not all). I will report back with the results in about a month! Also, I was planning on dry hopping in the primary. Anyone else do this? Have had favorable experiences in the past just didnt feel like the secondary is neccessary for this?

I brewed this saturday with 2 row instead and 10# instead of 11#. Its bubbling away (with us05) as we speak quite nicely. Ended up with an OG = 1.084 but only 5.3 gallons or so with some trub included (not all). I will report back with the results in about a month! Also, I was planning on dry hopping in the primary. Anyone else do this? Have had favorable experiences in the past just didnt feel like the secondary is neccessary for this?

Yes, I generally add dry hops into primary. No worries there.

Back