3.3 or 4 lb Cans of Pale LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iBrewBeer

Reaction score
I originally posted this in the "Extract" forum but think it fits better here.

I'm thinking about trying Palmer's Lady Liberty APA next batch and have an ingredient question. The recipe calls for two 3.3 lb. cans of pale LME. My LHBS carries Alexander's Pale LME but their cans are 4 lbs each.

So should I follow the recipe and weigh out the correct amount or just use the extra 1.4 lbs in the batch?

I guess I could always use something like Munton's Light LME but worry it would alter the taste profile? Using English LME in and Ameican Pale Ale sounds like fightin' words to me.

Thoughts?

Unless the English extract is Maris Otter, you wouldn't notice any difference and Munton's isn't.

........ said "screw it" and used 2- 4 lb cans of Alexander's Pale Malt Extract.

Ain't brewin' fun?

FYI........ the batch came out great and was a big hit at the local brew club meeting!

Loved the malty overtones- Yummy!

Good to know it came out well, I need to brew this one again. My first batch of it didn't come out so great, I somehow got off flavors as if the batch fermented to warm, not sure how that happened as I had it in a cooler with water and ice bottles (used US-05).

I used Palmer's "late addition" technique and think it made the difference. That plus using a starter.

Good luck with your second batch.

Back