Mt. living and mt kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i4ourgot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I live at 6200 ft should i be accounting for this when carbonating my beer? I have tried two methods one over a week at 50F and 12psi and my beer is really foamy. Then i tried bursts of 25 psi for 15 seconds 4 times and shook the keg once after the second burst of 25 psi. I let the keg sit not hooked up and even hit the release valve once for 6 days. The beer is very foamy and has this acidic bight to it that someone described as carbonic acid. I never had this problem back in maine.

Nice thanks man. I thought i was at the low end for the style but i guess at this altitude i was a little past the high end. That would explain the foam and the carbonic acid taste, luckily it went away after purging my keg and just getting rid of some of the pressure.

So i still seem to be having foamy beer with very little carbonation even though i let my keg sit at 10 psi for a week. I feel like the beer is not absorbing any co2 and i have it stored at 43 degrees

FWIW I'm over 5000 feet and have never taken any special considerations.

I force carb at 35 PSI for about 1 minute or naturally carb at 12 PSI for a couple weeks. No problems.

Force carbing in a keg is a closed system, elevation and air pressure are irrelevant.

At 43F you need 14psi to achieve 2.5 volumes of Co2. I usually 'charge' the keg by pressurizing to 30psi, disconnecting, then rolling around on the floor for 10 minutes. I then bleed the pressure, reset my regulator to the proper psi, and store everything in my fridge for at least one week.

Latest posts

Back