Fermentation STILL Going... AFTER a Cold Crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgeofblade

Reaction score
So, I just took my fermenter from the fridge where I was cold crashing at about 45F and moved it to an elevated surface to use good ole gravity. When I left the ferm at rest, I started to walk away to get my keg and then I heard..... -glub-. I waited another 10 seconds. -glub-.

Now, without getting into the semantics of airlock onomatopoeia, is my ale (Wyeast 1056) still somehow fermenting at 45 degrees?? OOOOORRRRRR did my moving the fermenter release some trapped CO2 in the yeast bed??? OOOOOORRRRRR did I rouse some yeast and it's somehow fermenting in the space of a few seconds????

...My guess is trapped CO2 in the yeast bed.

And to hit this nail on the head, it's right at the anticipated FG.

The beer is expanding as it warms up.

Co2 is "held" better at cold temperatures. Warmer temperatures (plus movement) allow the dissolved co2 to come out of suspension and the airlock can bubble like crazy while the beer warms up.

If the FG is unchanging (at fermentation temperature, not cold temperature) for at least three days, the beer is done. If it wasn't checked over at least three days, I wouldn't bottle it until it was.

did my moving the fermenter release some trapped CO2 in the yeast bed??? OOOOOORRRRRR did I rouse some yeast and it's somehow fermenting in the space of a few seconds????

...My guess is trapped CO2 in the yeast bed.

I would bet my next paycheck on this being the cause.

Waiting for the airlock Nazis to chime in...;) *yawn*

Co2 is "held" better at cold temperatures. Warmer temperatures (plus movement) allow the dissolved co2 to come out of suspension and the airlock can bubble like crazy while the beer warms up.

If the FG is unchanging (at fermentation temperature, not cold temperature) for at least three days, the beer is done. If it wasn't checked over at least three days, I wouldn't bottle it until it was.

Aha... not bottling. Kegging.

Back