Belgian Dark Strong - off by 1# of DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMorley67

Reaction score
I had all my ingredients lined up on brew day (yesterday), and realized that I only had 1# of Pilsen DME and not 2#. Sadly, I had already started and added the LME. Basically this is the recipe I used. Is there any thing I can do? I was shooting for a higher ABV

6.6# LME Pilsen (60 min)
1# DME Pilsen (60 min)
1# Candi Dark (15min)
1# Candi D2 (0 min)

Steeping grains
0.5 Dextrine
0.5 CaraMunich
0.5 Belgian Aromatic
0.25 Belgian Special B

Hops
0.5 Warrior (60 min)
0.5 Saaz (15 min)

You can add 12 oz of cane sugar if you want to boost the ABV to what your intended OG was. This will thin it out further, but you only have 2# of Candi syrup so far so I think a little extra cane sugar will not hurt it too much.

If it was me, I'd let it ride as is or add 8 oz and call it good. Your recipe looks tasty. And welcome to the forums!

If you are saying you added 1# of Turbinado at 15 minutes, then I think you have enough sugar. Just leave it be as is and enjoy it! Keep 1/2 or more of the batch for the 6-12 month timeframe, it should be tasty!

I like the look of your recipe, that is a lot of sugar! Just leave it, 7.6 lbs of malts is plenty! :)

You could invert some of the cane sugar solbes suggests adding so that it does not attenuate as much.

Invert sugar is more fermentable, not less.
Although, the need to use invert sugar for better attenuation is debatable since many argue that sucrose is easily split into glucose and fructose in the kettle and/or fermentor anyway.

Invert sugar is more fermentable, not less.
Although, the need to use invert sugar for better attenuation is debatable since many argue that sucrose is easily split into glucose and fructose in the kettle and/or fermentor anyway.

:smack:
You are correct. I was should have written "caramelize some of the cane sugar" but Belgian and Invert seem to always go together in my head.
:smack:

Thanks All.

I've decided to letting sleeping dogs lie and leave it as is, and see how things go. I wish patience was not a virtue.

Many brewers of this big a beer recommend sugar additions during the high phase of fermentation. This spurs the yeast on to do the hard work as alcohol levels rise, and to get the beer to attenuate enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back