New IPA I came up with, Check It out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
I came up with this, Tell me what you think.
7 lbs. Plain light LME
3 lbs. light DME
8oz. crystal malt 60L
8 oz. victory malt

1 oz. Northern Brewers 60 min. 8-10% AA
1 oz. Northern brewers 20 min.
1 oz. Chinnook 15 min. 12%AA
1 oz. Cascade 10 min. 5% AA
Steep 1 oz. Simcoe End of boil
Safale US-05

Please read it through and give your honest opinion. This is going to be my first IPA and I want somebody who has made a batch tell me what they think.
Different hops maybe, more or less malts, a different type of malt.
Different type of yeast.

Thanks And Happy New Year!!!!!:mug:

I'd just use 9 lbs of light DME; I'd cut the Crystal 60 down to 8 oz.

I'd maybe do 1 oz of Northern Brewer and 1 oz Chinook @ 60 and the other oz of Brewer @ 20 (or just use 1 oz of NB @ 20 -- 5 oz. will be a lot of hops in this beer -- which isn't a bad thing, just an observation).

05 is a good yeast for IPAs.

post back when brew it and let us know how it turns out

20 oz of crystal is a little much, I might leave out the 120. I don't think you will get much from the Munich in that small amount either.

As for the hop additions, I would use the Simcoe early on (I find the flavor kinda meh), maybe save some of the Cascade or NB for Dry Hopping. I would not make an IPA without dry hopping it.

something like so:
1oz Simcoe at 60
1oz Chinook @ 20
1oz NB @ 5
1oz NB @ flame out (steep for 10 then chill)
1oz Cascade DH for 7 - 14 days

Play around with the numbers in one of the calculators to get the IBUs where you want them.

US 05 is a great yeast for an IPA.

Your recipe looks jim-dandy to me. The only change I would make would be an oz. of dry hops in secondary. Simcoe, centennial, or cascade would be fine. No way I'd waste an oz. of simcoe at 60 min.

The S 05 is fine yeast, but look into White Labs WL051. It's the only yeast I use in IPA's. Also, if you're a hop freak like many of us, you could dry hop with an ounce of Cascade or something similar. To be honest though, the recipe looks great as is. Just giving you my $.02.

No way I'd waste an oz. of simcoe at 60 min.

I might have to try another batch with Simcoe. I did an amarillo-simcoe IPA with a tried and true grain bill. Was not my favorite by a long shot. Maybe its just me? I know this is a popular combination, so you may like it.

Should I steep the simcoe at flame out to cool, or dry hop?

Can I dry hop in primary? I am working on getting a seconday. Does it need to be a carboy?

I have used tastybrew.com and like that. I am 76 IBU. How hoppy will this be?

Thanks

how close is tastybrew calculations? I checked my IBUs from my holiday ale I did ,they came up with 92. The kit directions said 68-74.

This recipe is coming in at 78. Just want to know.

Thanks

cushdan, thanks , but I cannot open up his file? I would really like to look it over before I make my decision. Is there a way you could get me the extract version of this recipe?

I would appritiate it;)

I have a few questions for you before I comment on your recipe.
First, are you doing full boils?
Second, what do you have for fermentation equipment? A glass carboy is great for a secondary, but you could even just use a secondary plastic bucket fermenter to use as a secondary for dry hopping.
Third, what size batch is this? I'm assuming its 5 gallons...

Back