all grain questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atrain

Reaction score
i've made 3 batches and all were fine. a boxed kit for a german oktoberfest and 2 american brown ales from a recipe. now i want to make a trappist ale. it is an all grain recipe. it looks like there are some differences . what do i do with 10 lbs of grain? surely it doesn't go in a bag ? what is sparge? also what is the process for a yeast ?culture

thanks

I presume your previous beers have been from extract.
It sounds like you have bought an all grain kit rather than an extract kit.

If that is the case then you can replace the 10lb of grain with LME or DME

Or

You need to do some reading and build or buy some equipment.

Have fun.

yes they were
yes i did
i think i will
maybe sometime in the future

thanks

i don't know who revvy is but i'm glad i missed him

i don't know who revvy is but i'm glad i missed him

You're not out of the woods yet atrain:

Welcome to the forum. The Reverend (Revvy) is kind of the gate keeper, hall monitor, and/or the Oracle for this forum, along with numerous other gifted brewers that spend a ton of their time helping those of us with questions.

Hang around for a while, you'll see... :D

He's the one guy that really should be made Mod, but has yet to achieve that status (for reasons unbeknownst to the rest of us).

And yes, just give this place a good perusing before jumping off the AG end. I guarantee that I'm already a better homebrewer because of HBT.

:fro: PHENOMENAL COSMIC BREWING POWERS. :fro:

In an itty-bitty living space!

Hey, a post from Revy is a GOOD thing, the guy has helped me a bunch (I just brewed my 7th extract kit). If I ever run into him, I'm gonna buy him a big ol' homebrew!!!!

"buying a homebrew" is sort of an oxymoron but, hey I was hoping it was the thought that counted, maybe not.

Welcome to the fray atrain. For every question here on HBT...there are 1,000 answers and 2,000 opinions.

Why look at this thread. Only 7 posts in and we're getting opinions on who should or shouldn't be a moderator. ;)

the rev must either be a myth or he's just hanging out taking this all in the all grain thing looks like something i'd like to try sometime but for now i'll stick with the extract i can't really can put that much time into it right now so far i've had good luck with the extract i think i'll perfect it a little more before moving on

Back